PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Received my tin of Royal Yacht. My balls didn't fall off. It's a good smoke but a standard smoke with a nice nic hit.
Tin note is very light plum. Ya have to really out your noses into it to smell anything.
I can't detect any grassy notes. Starts with a semi-sweet flavor that deepens as I progresses into cashew. burns nice.
Overall I'm not really sure what to say about this tobacco. It just seems like a standard tobacco and I'm a bit bummed as I was expecting something more.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Soon, its inner beauty will reveal itself to you.
It is not grassy, like the bright Virginias. As I understand it, it is a mixture of stoved and pressed Virginias, so tends more toward the UK style that you also find in Hal O' The Wynd.
But, it is important to prepare oneself. Proper Royal Yacht appreciation comes with a meditative state of mind and a clearing of all thoughts and emotions. You are about to enter the eternal void. Prepare yourself accordingly!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
But, it is important to prepare oneself. Proper Royal Yacht appreciation comes with a meditative state of mind and a clearing of all thoughts and emotions. You are about to enter the eternal void. Prepare yourself accordingly!
For heavens sake, its simply pipe tobacco birthplastic... not LSD. Get over with this obsession you seem to have with RY and move on. More likely than not it was your never ending posts about RY being Nirvana for these past two months or so that brought the OP's expectations above and beyond what he expected it to be. :roll:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
More likely than not it was your never ending posts about RY being Nirvana for these past two months or so that brought the OP's expectations above and beyond what he expected it to be.
Or, he is merely waiting to discover what takes some time, patience and slightly specialized technique to enjoy.
If Dunhill paid me to flog the 'Yacht, I'd ask to get paid in tins.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yes, I agree. It's definitely gonna take some time to appreciate Royal Yacht. In fact, I find that the best tobaccos around take time to really understand before you truly fall in love with them.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Reiterating the "your mileage may vary" principle, when I first tried Royal Yacht, I liked it, but didn't necessarily love it. It took me two tins and many bowls spread out over many months and figuring out the right pipes before I think I finally "got it" with this blend. I've been able reproduce this experience with regularity since. (For example, if I load RY into a larger chambered Falcon bowl on a warm or hot, humid, windless evening and smoke outside, I know it's going to be good.)
I'd suggest finishing the tin over time in different pipes and in different settings ... Maybe you'll like it more, maybe you won't. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Smoke your way past the myth. Many folks like it a lot, as a regular rotation or as an occasional treat. Others never like it much. My sealed tin summons, but I plan to take it slow, not expect too much, and if it transports me, I'll go with the flow (ancient hippie saying).

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
When you've gotta work that hard to like a blend, perhaps it's just not that good. What is it about the Yacht that people like? Nicotine hit? Lots of better blends that deliver at least as much. Sweetness? It's not even close to better options. Flavor profile? If you're looking for a fruity-flavored tobacco, there's many better options. In the end, it's a passable blend, but not a remarkable one. Move along to better choices.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
More likely than not it was your never ending posts about RY being Nirvana for these past two months or so that brought the OP's expectations above and beyond what he expected it to be. :roll:

This was my experience with penzance.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
It's a good solid smoke - but not magic. Large bowl, slow smoke! It did grow on me significantly over a few smokes.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
To those who tried it based on mentions here, what were you expecting? A religious experience? Taste is about the most subjective sense we have. If it were possible to sample these without expectations or preconceived notions, I suspect you might like them more... or not. I just know that this forum can create unrealistic expectations that couldn't possibly be met.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
When you've gotta work that hard to like a blend, perhaps it's just not that good.

No hard work at all if you like it to begin with. This one (like many) just gets better with repeat experience.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
To those who tried it based on mentions here, what were you expecting? A religious experience? Taste is about the most subjective sense we have. If it were possible to sample these without expectations or preconceived notions, I suspect you might like them more... or not. I just know that this forum can create unrealistic expectations that couldn't possibly be met.
Totally agree.
It's a good smoke but a standard smoke with a nice nic hit.
I would call it more than a standard smoke, and I didn't get a nic hit.
For me this is the best review of RY ever (by JimInks):
The Virginias are choice, with some natural flavors, and though they are sublimated by the topping, I notice some grass and earth. The flavor never weakens, and has no dull or harsh spots. Won't bite. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, and the after taste lingers a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.