Tags:  No tags yet. 

Royal Yacht out of stock... again???

(17 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by elessar
  • Latest reply from blendtobac
  1. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

I was browsing pipes and cigars last week. As is normal on the right column of the screen it shows similar blends to the one you are looking at. For some reason, I don't know why, I clicked on the Royal Yacht. Knowing it to be long out of stock I was shocked to see it listed as in stock. What the heck, I threw 5 tins in my cart thinking it was a glitch. Nothing ventured... I even got a shipping confirmation. Well much to my surprise 5 tins of Royal Yacht and some other goodies showed up today. Quite a nice surprise. Now it shows once again as out of stock. Hopefully some of you were also lucky enough to get in on the action. A well hidden Easter egg on the part of P&C.

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Wow good timing on your part!

Speaking of Dunhill: Boswell's has Deluxe Navy Rolls for $26. I'd never had it so I ordered a tin. As of yesterday they had more than 20 left.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Speaking of Dunhill: Boswell's has Deluxe Navy Rolls for $26. I'd never had it so I ordered a tin. As of yesterday they had more than 20 left.

At that price they may have them longer than you'd think. I stocked up when P&C was doing a tin each of Escudo and DNR for ~16 bucks total. As much as I do like DNR better than Escudo, I don't like it that much better. There's just not $10+ difference in taste to me. I do wish I'd put away a few more tins of Elizabethan but don't like it enough to pay a premium for it.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I put away 40 tins of Elizabethan a few years ago when it was still under $10/tin. No way I could ever bring myself to pay $26 for a 1.76 oz tin, too many other great blends still available for much less.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

P&C had the Royal Yacht at their normal price of $12.50. Nice to see they weren't gouging anyone on it. They most certainly could have raised their price. Good on them I say.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I hear what y'all are saying about the inflated price. Normally I wouldn't bite, but at 26 bucks I figured it was an affordable luxury considering I never got around to trying it and I wanted to see how it compared to Escudo et al. On the other hand, hell would freeze over before I paid almost $100 on Ebay for a can of Frog Morton's Cellar, and I really like Frog Morton's Cellar. Same with Durbar, St. James Woods, EMP, and other blends I enjoyed in the past...been there, done that.

Last time I saw DNR at a local B&M, they wanted 18 bucks for it iirc. I'm willing to spend an extra few bucks (not 80 though) for something I want that's going extinct. I've wasted more money on things that gave me much less in return.

Posted 2 months ago #
  7. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$26 USD = $34 CAD

still cheap by our standards! I'm surprised that anyone has any Dunhill left. Has it been a year or so since it was discontinued?

Posted 2 months ago #
  8. ebnash

ebnash

Login to Send PM

My local B&M had some Dunhill tins on shelf they had recently acquired. When I asked, they said one of their distributors came into quite a bit. Royal Yacht is what they had the most of. I asked him to look into Dunhill Flake and they only had the Dark Flake.

This aligns with what I see available on the bay. There are still stockpiles out there. I’ll bet they are holding back on the most popular blends...

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

$26 USD = $34 CAD

still cheap by our standards!

No joke! Even knowing the heinous taxation on it for our poor .ca pals, I'm STILL constantly astonished at the scandalous prices they have to pay for leaf. }:(

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Royal Yuck is not available! Now that is good news

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My local cigar shop here in the Bay Area had some RY (maybe some 965) as of last month. I suspect they still do. It's not a big fave of mine, but I hope those tins go to good homes.

Nice score.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One might ask why discontinued blends are in ready supply from major retailers and shops. Maybe they weren't selling as well as we think and there's a large backlog? Something funky about it, but I've come to the place where I don't speculate because I've moved on. I'll enjoy the Dunhill blends I have, may order another tin or two on a whim, and see what happens. I do think the brand is sort of dancing on the customer's face, but maybe I'm a sour ball and grumpy old man. A guiding principle of business is, know what business you are in. I would add to that, know if you are in business.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I may have to get some more Standard Mixture.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

My tin of Navy Rolls arrived today. The date code was 11/16. Just for grins I checked ebay, and some enterprising individual had the same thing with a buy it now price of $79.

I'll be keeping mine, unless one of you makes it really worth my while. I'll start the bidding at $500.

Ok, $300.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some folks enjoy things a lot more if they pay a lot more. Hence the $95 t-shirt.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

mso489, sad but true. Those high priced tins will stay that way as long as people keep buying.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

From what I was told, a small supply was found in the warehouse that no one was aware of. I'm glad you got to take advantage.

Russ

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   k9shag, ravkesef, mikestanley, lawdawg, gatorlope, laniromee, nunnster, newportpipe, ben88, pianopuffer, cowboythunder, krizzose