Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
When I started with the pipe about a year and a half ago, I built up a "sampler" of blends that I had read good things about, such as the Dunhill blends, the Frog Morton series, Peterson, Stokkebye, etc. Since then I've been sampling around 3-4 blends at a time, and after trying about 20 so far I've hit on 4 that I really dig (I guess I'm picky!).
Today was the day I cracked Royal Yacht and gave it a shot, and wouldn't you know it...I like it. Since Dunhill is kaput (for now?), I'm left with trying to find something close. I've done forum searches on this, and have searched tobacco reviews for "plum" but there's a pretty large amount to choose from.
I suppose the thing I like about RY is that the flavoring seems really subtle to my palette (I only really detect it on the retrohale...a "supertaster" I ain't). As reference, I didn't like Frog Morton Cellar because it was too "vanilla-y" for me. So what's your all's fave RY match, or your "kinda aro, mostly not" blends?
I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to any suggestions you might have. Thanks!
-Dan

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Give Peterson's Irish Flake a try. Definitely not the same but in the same realm. I've seen a lot of others recommend Peterson's Perfect Plug too as an option. I haven't tried it though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I miss RY, first I look at my remaining tin and try to decide when to pop it. After that, I think mostly of good tobacco forward aromatics, not matching RY, but picking up the spirit of keeping a blend tobacco forward and using the flavoring to bring up and accent the tobacco. I have a number of less premium blends that still fill the bill nicely, and if I find something else in the RY league, I'll mention it. A number of burley based aromatics do this for me, but these depend on your liking for burley. RY is its own category, and I will smoke my unopened tin with pleasure (and respect).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Something similar to Royal Yacht? Gather some dog or cat poo, dry thoroughly, let dog or cat urinate on it, let dry thoroughly. Add some dried blades of grass. Pour some brandy on it, let dry 1/2 way. It is likely you'll prefer this to Royal Yacht but it should at least be similar. I'd personally recommend you drink the rest of the brandy and smoke something else.

Good luck!

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
It's for the discerning smoker, Mark go back to smoking your 1Q and mixture 79.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
+1 on University Flake. If you've never tried it, there's a good chance you'll like it if you like RY. I like them both, but I prefer UF.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Dont worry too much. I have a feeling we will be able to find it on shelves for years to come.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm grateful for my one open tin and two sealed tins in the cellar. It's not a favorite or an every day smoke for me, but it does make a nice change of pace, and I do like having it as an option for a change of pace.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't care for Royal Yacht. A couple years ago, my buddy bought some and said it was great so I had him pick me up a tin the next time he went to the tobacconist. He brought it over and I had just finished a bowl of SPC Mississippi River. After refreshing my palate I smoke a bowl of RY (in a different pipe) but it didn't do anything for me. I loaded up another bowl and still no flavor and I was scratching my head as I've heard people rave about this blend. I loaded up a third bowl and still nothing. Well after that third bowl I wanted to curl up in the fetal position and cry. Though the tobacco has no flavor what so ever, it sure did a number on me. Definitely to much vitamin N that night. I haven't smoked any since.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Oh boy ... there is no Royal Yacht thread with at least one hater having to say something about feces, urine, etc etc. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.