PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have just realized as part of one of my 'trades' with a chum in the UK I picked up a tin of Royal Yacht from 2007. I assume this is not an item for cellaring or preservation. I am not and never will be a consumer of Dunhill products as I am as you all know a one blend type of guy. Any thoughts gentlemen?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm holding a tin of Royal Yacht, but I don't intend to age it, per se. I think it is essentially an aromatic

and as such isn't a prospect for prolonged aging. I hope it turns out, for your sake, that the aging has

mellowed it, and maybe also it is from a good year of leaf. But you're right, I believe, this is a tin that

needs to be opened and experienced. Let Forums knowhow it goes!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The English part of the blend makes me curious as to the current taste but I know aro's are not usually candidates for aging.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@mso489 I don't think it is something I would enjoy. As I have previously stated I have a very one dimensional taste in tobacco and pipes. I think that was the brand that Stalin used to smoke if my memory serves me correctly.

Dec 24, 2012
Now, Now guys. RY is NOT an aromatic. It is an all VA blend that does have a light topping of a natural essence that provides a very light sweet flavour. The tin you would have would be a modern Orlick tin not a Murray's era tin, but you should give it a whirl. RY does age very well.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@peck: Still not convinced chum. Now you say 'sweet' that has set of a thought in my old main frame of a mind that I may have tried this once many many years ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
peck, I think Dunhill contributes to the confusion with their mysterioso description of the blend, its secret sauce,

or whatever it is. At the other end of the spectrum, Granger has always described itself as rough cut burley, but

also claims it is treated with the "Wellman Process," and some old pipers claim IT is an aromatic. I think the

mysterious additives do raise the question. Since I smoke both aromatics and non, it doesn't matter to me, but

I'd claim that the confusion is, at least, understandable.

Dec 24, 2012
Fair enough. But anyone who has smoked it will tell you that it is in no way an aromatic in the same way that 1792 or Stonehaven wouldn't be classed as such merely because they do have an added essence (tonquin bean in the case of 1792 and treacle in the case of Stonehaven). RY also packs a very stiff dose of vitamin N. When I first tried it, I wasn't sure I liked it but it has grown on me in leaps and bounds. The key to me is that it has to sit open for awhile. I recently scooped 5 tins of the old Murray's version which I will try very soon.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
RY is great if you have an affinity for strong VAs. Otherwise its a fantastic blending tobacco to use for adding a an extra kick to some aros and lighter VAs. RY and Golden sliced for example is an excellent combo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes and Cigars lists RY style as aromatic. I think this is a conspiracy to befuddle my old brain.

As stated before, I smoke both and don't care how it is classified, but there is confusion on RY.

Dec 24, 2012
Pipes and Cigars lists RY style as aromatic. I think this is a conspiracy to befuddle my old brain.

As stated before, I smoke both and don't care how it is classified, but there is confusion on RY.
It is confusing isn't it, Well they also list 1792 as an aromatic but list stonehaven as a non-aromatic. I would take what they say with a grain of salt - it is really run by cigar merchants now, lol. All I know is that if RY is an aromatic then so are probably have the blends I smoke, including stonehaven, I think tobacco reviews has the right description - i.e. listing the blend type as a VA and not as an aromatic.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I agree very much with Peck on this one. I have a strong aversion to Aros and really enjoy RY.

Status
Not open for further replies.