PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
For some reason I stopped smoking a tin almost a year ago. My impression then was that it was a potent VA mixture. On smoking it again I've added it to the 2000 tobaccos on my wish list, but as it is unique in being high-nicotine and VA. There aren't many other potent VAs. At any rate my current impression is that it is a darker, rich, potent VA mixture, and of course I want more. I googled for it in bulk but found none. At $10.XX/50 g, I won't be able to lay in the 50 tins that I would consider adequate (my tobacco aquisivity is always in play.) Other than that, for me it's a sure winner.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
4noggins, I have a tin lingering in the drop-front compartment of my main rack and you gave me another nudge

toward opening it. For a readily available well-known blend, it has a mystique. Nothing else quite like it. Is it or

isn't it aromatic? This question raises strong opinion. The most ardent say no.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
The first time I smoked Royal Yacht I knew I would keep it around in quantity. I have about 10 tens in the stock, and I don't smoke it often as a rotational tobacco, but when I do crack a tin, I seem to go through the tin in a few days. It's feast or famine thing for me, and I gorge myself on it. I sometimes smoke two bowls back to back. When the tin is done, the hell hounds hibernate and I go back to my regularly scheduled rotation. It usually happens once every few months or so......in fact....uh oh...

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
The current Orlik RY has burley in the blend, which may contribute to its potent nicotine content.
FWIW, I've never considered it an aromatic.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I enjoy a bowl of it from time but I've never noticed any nic. hit in the slightest That may be due to me be a 50+ year cigarette smoker. I'm not at all sure about the aromatic thing, but if by chance it is an aro it's the only aro I smoke.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm not sure, and I havn't verified this, but I think P&C is the only place it's listed as an aromatic.
On a somewhat related note, there are a few discrepancies I've seen with descriptions of blends on not just P&C but other sites listing attributes of blends. For instance, I recently was looking at the Laudisi catalog for 2014 tobacco blends, and there were lots there that had strength, taste, and room note delineations that were very different from P&C AND Smokingpipes(which they own.) It's would be nice to get a "true-up" to see what really is what. Then again, lots of that is subjective opinions, and there may not be a way to accurately quantify such things.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I never considered this blend even of medium strength on the nicotine front. And I just loathed the flavor. It does seem to be one of those "love-it-or-hat-it" blends. Pipestud thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
RY is an excellent va tobacco. Some find the nicotine hit to be uncomfortable. Others do not.
Perhaps, this is an example of the much-vaunted "body chemistry" hypothesis.
-bw

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It was hit and miss with me ... liked it at first, then not as much, then liked it again.
It could be considered an aromatic as it has a plum topping to it.
However, it doesn't taste "flavored" as the plum just compliments the sweet Va's present.
The Nic is a solid medium and would offer a buzz to the less tolerant smokers.
If someone wanted to give me a tin I would smoke it but I'm not going to cellar this one.

zanthipal

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
I imagine a cruise on a Royal Yacht as a sedate affair involving teacups and tablecloths. Instead, the cruise from the baccy version of that boat was like being tossed around on an angry sea being blown by massive blasts of nicotine laced winds. In other words, way too much nicotine for me. I put the Yacht back in the dock and havn't taken her out in months.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Yes sir, that Royal Yacht is terrible stuff. Not worth the price of the tin it was put in. The old Murray's version is particularly vile weed. When you see a tin of it being offered on eBay, DO NOT BID! Let some other poor, unknowing sap get the tin for pennies. That will serve the seller right for trying to unload that Yak Pee on the pipe smoking public. And be sure to send me a link to the auctions while they are still underway so that I can cross my fingers and see just how little the winning bidder pays for those poor examples of true quality pipe tobacco. :D
Thanks in advance,
Pipestud

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I tried Royal Yacht years ago and honestly don't remember what it tastes like. I guess it's time to pick up a tin and give it another go.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I only have the one tin of it, and as I mentioned earlier I'll smoke a bowl every so often just for a change of pace. More likely than not I'll not order it again as I found it rather nondescript, but certainly not terrible.
Such is the way ones taste can vary at times to opposite ends of the pole at times. Whereas many love the taste of Latakia I absolutely abhor it except for the small amount that is contained in Mississippi River which I find very pleasant and enjoyable. Go figure... :wink:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Royal Yuck! I would sooner have my ball sacked super glued to the floor while being buggered by a gnome wearing a barbed wire condom that smoke the by product of the devils crotch fluff!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Royal Yuck! I would sooner have my ball sacked super glued to the floor while being buggered by a gnome wearing a barbed wire condom that smoke the by product of the devils crotch fluff!
OK... but please be more honest as to how you really feel about it? :rofl:

I could say the very same thing about any Lakeland blend with it's nauseating soapy taste, but evidently some people, for whatever reason, enjoy and love smoking Palmolive soap and so be it. As I said, I'm not crazy about RY, and I've certainly smoked much worse, but whatever floats your boat and gives one satisfaction is all that really matters does it not? Some people love Carter Hall, whereas I'd would rather smoke a shit filled diaper, but yet I occasionally smoke and enjoy Prince Albert! To each his own... :wink:

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
According to an article I read, "Rather inauspiciously, Joseph Stalin, leader of the second world, smoked Dunhill's Royal Yacht. Guess being a brutal dictator doesn't bar one from having good taste." Apparently he also never cleaned his pipes as another article states "He was reported to have the foulest smelling cloud of mundungus around him when he lit his pipe, because he never bothered to clean them."

Works cited

http://www.reddit.com/r/PipeTobacco/comments/1crwuc/preferred_tobacco_of_famous_pipe_smokers/

http://briarfiles.blogspot.com/2008/06/featured-pipe-smoker-joseph-stalin.html
:puffpipe:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
According to an article I read, "Rather inauspiciously, Joseph Stalin, leader of the second world, smoked Dunhill's Royal Yacht. Guess being a brutal dictator doesn't bar one from having good taste." Apparently he also never cleaned his pipes as another article states "He was reported to have the foulest smelling cloud of mundungus around him when he lit his pipe, because he never bothered to clean them."

Works cited
Doesn't surprise me at all considering that Stalin was the lowest piece of human excrement known to mankind. He made Hitler look like Mother Teresa. If it is indeed true that he, or more aptly put, 'it' smoked RY I'm going to toss my RY in the garbage as I want no association whatsoever with that piece of human slime in any way shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.