PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I picked up this Royal Sovereign #170 Billiard this weekend. It is actually an Orlik second. The difference is that it is stamped made in England on the stummel. Otherwise it would be a Stanwell second I believe.
Anyway, this one was never smoked, and has some dings in the right side and top of bowl. I hate to sand the top of the bowl down enough to get rid of that, maybe Ill try my hand at filling the dents and refinish. Nice size pipe. Not sure if Ill keep or sell.
Corrections or comments welcome.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have a Royal Sovereign 18 in the dark plum finish and it's a very well made pipe. I removed the singer and chamfered the tenon. I mostly use it for strong Lakelands, like Ennerdale, and the occasional aromatic.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
rothnh,
I got this from an antique shop that claimed they had thousands from a local tobacco shop owner's estate. They were not stored correctly and some had water damage from a flooded basement etc. My guess is that the dings were from being poured in and out of bags and boxes during the estate buyout, and subsequent sell off by the antique shop.
But perhaps a little stain and repolish will make it more acceptable.
Cheers
Kgill

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Hi there,
I have renewed one of Royal's. The "Royal Sovereign" is definitely the Orlik's pipe. Nice!
The "Made in England" means that it's a pre Cadogan pipe. You're lucky!
IMG_1795_zps8d439f5c.jpg

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
Vlodko,
That sure cleaned up nicely. Thanks for showing it. Is your stem also stamped with the crown?
Pitchfork, do you use this pipe for your Lakelandstobacco choice for any reason? I mean do you find that shape works better for the tobacco or am I thining too hard about it? hahahaha

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Pitchfork, do you use this pipe for your Lakelandstobacco choice for any reason? I mean do you find that shape works better for the tobacco or am I thining too hard about it? hahahaha
I paid 20 bucks for the pipe (unsmoked) and I didn't want to ghost one of my "good" pipes. I've since bought a couple of pipes for the express purpose of smoking Lakelands. I like them that much.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I own one Royal Soverign straight billard unsmoked.Mine has 54 stamped on the right side of shank.
Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.