PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Does anyone know anything about these? It's from my wife's grandfather. It's marked Royal Demuth, has a triangle with WDC in it, and it marked 1934 on the bottom.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That is a very cool old American pipe made by William Demuth Company,
https://pipedia.org/wiki/William_Demuth_Company
WDC_DEMUTH.JPG

If you look at this image from what appears to be 1947, the Royal Demuth (it can be seen on the page linked to above) was available with a smooth Mahogany, Walnut "...or exciting unique Antique etched finish". If I had to guess, I would say the silver work was an added customized detail, perhaps it was a gift. Is there a triangle on the stem?

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I have two with the silver work on the rim. In the above advertisement they are referred to as Demuth "Sterling". All the pipes in that add comprise the WDC line of filter pipes. The Demuth Sterling and Royal Demuth are both marked as a Royal Demuth. They are basically the same pipe, one just has the sliver rim cap and band while the other is a little more plain.
The Royal Demuths that I have are fine little pipes and if you like a filter pipe then I highly recommend them (but then again I'm partial to the brand). As far as I can tell these were manufactured through the 40s and used good quality briar and vulcanite. The one in your photo is a fine example and should clean up quite nicely.
There is also some variation in the metal tennon/filter fitment on the royal demuths. Both of mine have the natural aluminum tennon but I have seen them with either a black painted or black anodized finish on the tennon (I don't have one so I'm unsure which it is).

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
yes - it is a filter pipe. It will hold a 6mm balsa. It does have the white triangle on the top center of the stem. I would doubt the silver was added, but would think it could have been a gift (family history). They came to America in the early twenties - found a 1923 receipt for a car for a $300!

Status
Not open for further replies.