PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
The Daily Mail reports actor Rowan Atkinson is being considered to revive the Inspector Maigret character for an upcoming ITV series. Maigret, often called the French Sherlock Holmes, is known for his pipe smoking. Atkinson himself is known best for his comedic characters Blackadder and Mr. Bean.
Read all about it here.
Jay

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Would love to see more Maigret. I am down to the 9th and final year of the French series starring Bruno Cremer. Cremer convinced me he was a pipe smoker - the pipe wasn't just a prop. It would be hard to displace him as the best Maigret in my eyes, but I hope someone new does take up the challenge.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Definitely not who springs to mind when I think of Maigret, but I am excited that the Inspector will be back.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
when i think mr bean rowen would be more gogo inspector gadget then a serious french inspector

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
It's probably better to remember him in Blackadder Goes Forth than in Mr Bean.

http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/the-pipe-of-captain-edmund-blackadder.32648/

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Doesn't sound like a good fit on the surface. Even if he is capable of it we will always see Blackadder or Mr. Bean.
Michael Gambon was quite good as Maigret.
Remains to be seen if they will let him smoke.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I can't understand the cynicism. Remember Rowan's classic performance in the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics? Just add some moules frites and you're there. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h17gIW9paO0
Andy

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
It's the physical portion that will throw me off. Maigret is supposed to be larger (he rarely carries a revolver, more times absently knocking a criminal into the waiting arms of Lucas and Janvier), and slow and steady in movement and deliberation. However, RA is nowhere near the worst casting for Maigret....really Richard Harris, I ask you. It just seems like from Jean Gabin to Bruno Cremer to Michael Gambon to Rowan that Maigret is shrinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.