PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
First smoke on a new pipe, first experience with a Peterson system pipe (317), first experience with a P-lip stem, first smoke of an H&G shag (Kendal 7). Awful lot to go wrong with that many firsts but amazingly nothing did. The Peterson 317 is a cute little dickens and holds just enough shag for a 20 minute smoke. The system counter bore seemed to do its job unobtrusively with no gurgle apparent. The P-lip stem felt a bit strange at first but after only a few minutes became a non-issue. The 317 is a first rate clencher, best I've ever run across.
The Kendall No. 7 shag, although touted as unscented, is definitely a Lakeland but the "essence" is very muted, enough so that only obsessive Lakeland despisers will be bothered by it. Allegedly it has a chocolate flavoring but if so then it's even more muted than the L'essence. Bag note is a bit funky and musty as many matured Virginias tend towards. Otherwise it was a very tasty and rewarding smoke. The tobacco was, to my surprise, very damp and needed a good 30 minutes dry time. Overall a very salutary and enjoyable series of firsts.
This post might have fit better in another sub-forum but since it's so inclusive I picked this one.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Glad to see that living life on the edge has panned out for you darwin! I love it when the stars align or whatever, and you have a great smoking experience smoking a pipe. I had a good one last night too, which honestly doesn't always happen.

Keep on puffin.... :puffy:

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Indeed. I've been doing this, on and off, for a long time and I'm lucky to get a satisfactory experience half the time and a truly wonderful experience maybe five percent of the time. It's enough to keep the donkey chasing the carrot though.

Status
Not open for further replies.