PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
What's up pipers
I've watched and read a lot about the Routine Pipe Cleaning and everybody insists on using alcohol when cleaning the shank but the problem is that in my country it's nearly impossible to get any liquid that contains alcohol even the medical ones, so the question is; is there anything else that can replace alcohol when deep cleaning a pipe?, and are shank brushes important to clean pipes or bristle cleaners can do the job?. Thank you.
*I have some chloroform spirit right now so can I clean the pipe with it or not?, if the answer is yes I still need other suggestions because I can't get it all the time.

From what I hear of Yemen, it's not that different from Alabama. :puffy:
Eh, I wouldn't use chloroform on my pipes. You might wake up in a strange place, like Las Vegas.

Alcohol just loosens the crud from the inside and it dries quickly. Maybe you could just use a more aggressive bristol pipe cleaner, and occasionally use a pipe sweetener. Can you order from 4noggins or another tobacconist? They can get you a pipe sweetener.

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
I ordered more than once from smokingpipes.com and the last order was more than ten days ago (haven't arrived) and it didn't occur to me ordering pipe sweetener, the shipping to Yemen is a little expensive so I have to order many things every time so the shipping cost worth it.

I will order pipe sweetener the next time I need tobacco or a pipe.

Thank you Cosmicfolklore.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Whiskey/vodka works well how about that?
Ah... the last time I looked/drank whiskey or vodka it was alcohol. lol
Other than that, and as cosmic mentioned pipe sweetener should do the trick. However, seeing that you can't obtain alcohol I would be tad more conscious about regular cleaning rather than letting the pipe(s) get too dirty when alcohol might then become more of a necessity. Also, on your next order by all means grab a few shank brushes.

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
Phil67, I clean the pipe during and after each smoke. I will buy some shank brushes from ebay because the shipping is free :D

Jun 4, 2014
That is a good question. For the stem I don't see why you couldn't use boiled (really hot) water. Now if it would work on the shank of the bowl, I don't know. Maybe someone else can provide some more information.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Can you buy mouthwash at the store? Some have a little alcohol, and others have none. Some have milder flavors than others. Probably good for the stem, but I don't know about the shank and bowl. Use plain water on the pipe cleaner last so it won't leave too strong of a flavor. Just a thought...

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Has anyone ever done solubility tests on doddle? Seems like the stuff that gets stuck in the shank and stem should be soluble in oil as well as alcohol. Never tried light oil but seems as though it should work as well. Any thoughts?

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
I don't know If mouthwash works but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Agnosticpipe.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Has anyone ever done solubility tests on doddle? Seems like the stuff that gets stuck in the shank and stem should be soluble in oil as well as alcohol. Never tried light oil but seems as though it should work as well. Any thoughts?
Then how would you go about cleaning out and removing the oil?!

I know... alcohol! lol

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Sounds like the stem can be cleaned with dish washing detergent. This sounds crazy but how about white gas? It is a good solvent and should evaporates easily. I would do only the shank and let it dry a long time. Or, at least until you do not smell it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This sounds crazy but how about white gas?
Yep, that's crazy alright. Granted, it evaporates quickly. but it's a carcinogenic! Don't, under any circumstance use such a substance!

Status
Not open for further replies.