PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
In a recent thread, someone asked how long you can keep tobacco in its tin once you have popped the lid. I mentioned that I have had some for about 6 months that is still fine to smoke. I should have added that this is in a round, screw down lid. With the rubber seal on the underside of the lid, you can get a nice tight seal and all is well.
However - I've just stumbled on a square tin of Navy Rum Flake that had fallen behind a cupboard around a couple of months ago (please don't judge my cleaning regime!) and it is as dry as can be (like some ancient manuscript, it turns to dust at the slightest touch) The problem with the square tins is that you can't get the same sort of seal as you do on the round ones.
Has anyone else found this? It isn't usually an issue as, by chance, most of the blends that I only smoke now and then seem to be in round tins. To try and ease the problem I'm trying out something new. As soon as I open a square tin, I carefully lift out the tobacco along with the paper liner and put to one side. I then place a small plastic bag in the tin and pop the baccy and paper liner inside the bag. Now I can fold up the top of the bag when I close the tin which will hopefully hold in the moisture.
Taking a positive from this, I am now experimenting with the re-hydration techniques mentioned in this excellent forum!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
withnail, I usually keep around 17-20 tins open at a time and have found that the tupperware like containers I buy at Walmart keep them fresh for months. They come in 4 different sizes in a 4 pack for around 6 bucks and work great. On the second shelf of this picture you can see what I am talking about. I highly recommend them to anyone who wants to keep open tins fresh.

DSC09706.jpg

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
I haven't gotten around to getting mason jars yet, so I put them in a freezer bag.

If they are getting dry, I put a small humidifier disc in the bag.
If it's a large quantity not in a tin, I double bag it, to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.