PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I thought I'd share this simple trick for fixing a rounded stem face. Someone had gone overboard with compound and a buffer on this stem. Mowed the button, rhondell flat and rounded the end of the stem face.
I think anyone interested in these repairs, knows or has seen the thread on patching stems so I'll skip the button rebuild.
OBqCtTZl.jpg

I drilled a hole the same diameter as the tennon in my sanding stick and used 400 grit to sharpen the stem face.
l65JXJDl.jpg

J9NbQxsl.jpg

zkn1d3xl.jpg

88b9ue0l.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Great job. Nice trick also. But it looks like somebody owes you a new sanding stick. LOL!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sanding stick? Who knew? I've been using half a clothes pin and holding the paper with my fingers. Not so much fun.

I just got my first set of micro mesh pads, and wonder why I waited so long.

I've been playing with em, on some of my stems as I play online poker and without working overly hard have perked up a bunch of stems to my great delight at the outcomes.

I really haven't been attempting perfection like a few of you 'experts', but maybe that will come in time?

The best toy I've had in a while.

Softees? The heck with those damned things. Who are you saving your stem for? Don't tell me that those rubber gaskets are comfortable.

Give me a slim, smooth stem with a nice button and NO hose guard. If my stems get dirty, scratched, or dingy, I can bring them back with no problem.

Small successes in the moments we dedicate to the hobby enrich the experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a great solution Dave. I've tried to do this freehand, but that doesn't work. I'll try that technique on the next opportunity.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Confused about what I think I see. The sand paper appears to have both a hole for the tenon and a smooth(?) brownish ring around it about the width of the stem. Do you rotate the stem, or the sanding stick, or both?

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
Dave- great solution to an annoying problem, like Al I've tried it freehand with less then satisfactory results. I have a few in the spear parts box that may be salvageable now. Thanks for sharing, your tips have saved a pipe or two in the past.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A word of caution if you do this. If a stem has a taper that starts at the point where it meets the shank you could--if you take to much off the face of the stem-- end up with the stem to shank registration being off. In other words the stem will be a slightly smaller diameter than the shank. You could be correcting one problem only to create another. Go slowly and check the registration often.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Ed you're right. I only tested this on one stem before using it on the GBD. Both stems were roughly the same shape.
I always recommend trying any new ideas on a test pipe first.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I was glad to see this info about finishing a stem that has been rounded at the shoulder. I don't have a sanding stick, but I'm sure I can cobble something together. I did use this process on a pipe shank that was rounded off, and even though I didn't have a peg to center it, just keeping is flat and working slowly in a circle worked fine. Thanks for the post Dave!

posaydal

Lurker
Dec 6, 2015
Serbia
Mate, that is simply ingenious. You have no idea how big of a problem you have just solved for me, and it's so simple. Thanks! I think i love you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.