banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Rothmans Pipe With Sasieni Patent Number?

(9 posts)
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The other day I picked this off e bay. A Rothmans of Pall Mall with a patent number. i found a Sasieni thread on the forum where the legendary MLC had listed the Sasieni Patents with links.

All thought gratefully welcome.
    owen

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That is not the Sasieni patent number typically seen.
    On the Sasieni shape chart, the #15 is a bent billiard (the Rugby).
    So, I don't think it is Sasieni made. I can't recall seeing a Rothman's pipe here.
    But a neat pipe, and should restore nicely.

Here's a Rothmans I'd like to own!

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, that's definitely a Sasieni patent number. So, unless they licensed it out to another maker (never heard of them doing that), the pipe has to be Sasieni-made.

Here's the link to the MLC comment that Owen mentioned (that whole thread is good reading, btw)... http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sasieni-shape-code#post-743481

... and here are a couple of pages from the patent filing ...

RESPECT THE PIPE!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's the pipe, no doubt about that (the tenon cut sure looked Sasieni).
    I guess Rothmans used their own shape codes? Typically seconds had a few digits of the original.
    I assume there's no way to definitively date that one? (do we know the range where that Patent number was in use). Guessing pretty early!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I assume there's no way to definitively date that one? (do we know the range where that Patent number was in use). Guessing pretty early!

The patent is from 1925, but I can't say how long it was actually used. I'm guessing that it wasn't very long.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes, it looks like they transitioned through Patent numbers fairly quickly in that area. So late 20's is a pretty good guess, amazing!

Some interesting info on Rothmans, I didn't realize they were that old. Their racing livery/sponsorhip was epic.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothmans_International

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good morning gentlemen. Always like a good Sasieni mystery before my first cup of coffee. I would say it is definitely a Sasieni made pipe, the "stinger" in the OP and Patent number are clearly the same as the documentation shown. My thinking is the pipe dates from 1925 (the patent date) ~ mid 1930's. Sasieni reused - reassigned shape numbers, and we see shape 15 by the ~ mid '30's is the Putney. Because this pipe is clearly not the Putney as shown in the ~ mid '30's catalog, it makes me think it may be earlier. It's probably a shape we know by another number/name, I can think of a couple of candidates, but for that, I do need that cup of coffee!

PS: Al the Porsche is pretty cool, Jacky Ickx and Jochen Mass (those markings I can get!).

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having given the pipe a little clean and discovering the singer unscrews, I must say it does smoke very dry and the stem is the most amazing soft vulcanite.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure if this helps or hinders the debate about the Sasieni pipe in the other thread.
    I tried but couldn't manage a link

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ben88, redglow, supdog, trubka2, jaytex969, jcdarin, winton, alaskanpiper