PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A little while ago I posted an open inquiry about suggestions for pipe rotation. Since then I've increased my pipe collection, with six more to come early next month. (The rest of the Cobbit family and three briars from Paul's Pipe Shop, Cayugas.) Here's the scheme I've come up with, and let's see what you think:

Not having a pipe cabinet yet (I'm building one in the spring), I keep pipes stored in two little wood crates made for Christmas, designed to look like vegetable crates. One crate holds resting pipes, the other pipes that are to be smoked. I take out three pipes from the latter crate (I smoke about ten bowls a day, and I like variety), two briars and one cob. At the end of the day, these go into a crate to rest. The next day I chose three pipes from the "ready" crate to smoke for that day. Again, at the end of the day, they go into the resting crate. That should provide about a week of resting time or more before they are ready for me to smoke again.

The elapsed time will probably increase to over a week, and each pipe gets about three smokes a day. Thank you for your input last posting about rotation, from which I devised this schedule. What do you think of this rotation? Not enough resting time, or enough?

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Resting time seems to be overrated. Cleaning your pipes on a regular base is much more important. After all the cendensate doesn´t penetrate the briar too deeply at all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think there is taking reasonable care of your briars, cobs and meers; then there is being "anal" about the entire process. I'm not using "anal" in a pejorative manner, some people enjoy or need a very structured routine. Others, adopt a more "laissez faire" attitude about the whole affair with regard to pipe management. I'm of the later class.
I believe a briar should be rested, the length of time is certainly open to debate. I also believe that a briar can be smoked over and over, with little rest, and still outlast the smoker as long as it is kept moderately clean. As long as your pipes smoke neutral and well, you are doing right. When a pipe stops delivering a good smoke it is time to investigate for the cause. Chances are, cleaning is the problem, as opposed to resting. A pipe can become over smoked, cleaning routine and blends enjoyed are elements of this problem.
Bowl down or stem? One day of rest? Or, is seven sufficient? In a cabinet? Open air on the rack? Ambient temperature? Humidity? Bristle or not? To ream or not to ream? How often? As needed? Cake? How much is too much? Or, no cake at all?
You will get no consensus to any of the above questions and in truth you will have to read, consider and in the end, make your own decision. See what works and what doesn't. Find your comfort zone and then enjoy being there? But, remember to enjoy the path to that zone. I do not believe that anything, well few things, opined on this forum are etched in stone. Try! Discard or keep! It is what works for you and allows for full enjoyment of the pipe on terms acceptable to you that matters.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Shush, warren! How will I be able to convince The Other that I need all these pipes if not to have enough to allow resting? :evil:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Actually, warren, I think I agree with stvalentine. In the going-on two years that I renewed my interest in the pipe, I haven't been very successful in resting my pipes as advised in the past: it's only with the discovery of the Cobbits and Paul's Pipe Shop (see my posting about the Cayuga pipes and their amazing economy in the Pipe Clubs forum) that I've been able to get enough pipes to conduct a proper resting for each pipe, instead of using a few day after day (with cleaning, of course: I clean my pipes with a pipe cleaner even as I'm smoking them, provided a given pipe is a straight. Most of them are). With these new pipes, however, the resting process is now easy, so we'll see if a week-rested pipe does actually smoke better. There must be some truth to this, given that so many pipers religiously rest their pipes, so I continue to ask for opinions about my schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.