PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I smoked pipes for over 25 years before I ever heard the word rotation used in the context of pipe smoking.That didn't come along untill I got online.Most pipe smokers that I knew pre internet only had one or two pipes.In those days though one could buy pipes for just a few bucks,so I bought a lot.Not because I thought I needed them,but just because I wanted them.Later on when by chance I got a couple of really good smoking pipes I realized that I had wasted a good deal of money on pipes that I eventually got rid of.I'm not saying that rotation isn't a good thing.What I'm trying to say to someone just starting to buy pipes.Put back enough bucks to buy better smoking pipes.The rotation will soon enough take care of it's self.That way you won't end up as I did with a large rotation of not so good smokers,and losing money later on trying to get rid of them that you could have used to buy pipes that you could enjoy for a life time.Anyway that's my opinion on this topic.Of course others may have different thoughts.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You are a wise man Puffy . I like to build sets of the same make and let them rest togather . GBD is the line up this month .

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I have a rotation only in the fact that I will let a pipe rest a full day before I will smoke it again... Other than that I pick whatever suits me at the time!

Jul 15, 2011
I smoke anywhere from 1 to 3 pipes a day, always at night after I get home from work. They are cleaned immediately after smoking and rest until the next day until the after work meal when I smoke them again, a full 24 hours. I have smoked Dr Grabows this way for years and have not had a pipe go sour on me yet. I do own somewhere in the area of 40 pipes, but I get most of them dirt cheap on ebay and shine them up myself. Some are also gifted to me, and are restored fully. I buy pipes because they are collectible and its cool to have a variety. As far as a rotation? Nah. Ill smoke the same pipe every day if it suits my fancy.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I have about 8 pipes I think... and I just smoke whatever whenever. No bad experiences yet but I'm sure they'll come, and when they do it's just another reason to get another pipe! :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Interesting. My mother asked me why I had so many pipes out at once. She's 70. I told her that I like to let them rest 24 hours between smokes, so that I don't wear them out. But honestly, I have only destroyed 2 pipes in 35 years of pipe smoking. Guess I can chalk it up to laziness: I rotate pipes so that I only need to clean them once a week, in batches of 6 or 8 at a time.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I don't really rotate my pipes, I merely let them rest. I might let one pipe rest for 24 hours, and smoke it again, or I might wait a week to smoke it again. It just depends on if I'm in the mood for that pipe.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I have 6 Falcons and 5 others, with the Falcons I swap bowls out every 2 or 3 smokes.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
I don't have any set rotation either, I usually just end up smoking my straight Dr. Grabow. (My 2 bent Grabow's give me fits have not been able to get a satisfactory smoke out of either one of them)
And have a cob dedicated to Squadron Leader (English blends) since my pipe stinks to high heaven after smoking it.
This leads me to another question. As Puffy mentioned earlier he wished he had saved up the money for a little more expensive pipe and would not have ended up with as many sub-par pipes.
I have been toying with the idea of buying a new pipe but so far am leaning towards these due to my sub-par experience with bent pipes which asthetically I prefer. A straight ebony peterson, the ebony and ivory peterson set, or savinelli's(?) Bing's favorite ebony straight. Is there really that much of a noticeable difference between the quality of the smoking experience with these than a Grabow?

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
I have about 200 pipes - so rotation is not an issue...whatever strikes my fancy gets grabbed. Sometimes I will smoke the same pipe for a couple of days. Just making sure I swab out the bowl and shank. Then followed by a thorough cleaning when I am done with it. My Dad probably had 4 or 5 pipes and well...they looked pretty worked since he chained smoked a pipe most of his life. I have pretty much given up on having a "Collection." Meaning that I am pretty eclectic in my choices of pipe buying...and I know most of these pipes will outlast me...so I view myself as a custodian of these pipes...taking care of them for my own personal enjoyment and...who knows maybe for some future pipe smoker. :puffy:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
How often do you rotate through your pipes? Also, what do you think the minium number of pipes should be for a nightly and weekend pipe smoker?

Chandlerjr

Sounds like I smoke about as much as you, Chandlerjr. I found this thread you might be interested in.
I only smoke a pipe once in a day, then let it rest at least one day. I have a half dozen briars, a couple of cobs and a clay pipe. That would be more than sufficient for me except that there are a couple of more pipes that I would like to have. :?

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I do think that there is merit in leaving a smoked pipe to rest as it will help prevent it going sour on you. However, I do think that it is also a handy excuse to justify a case of PAD!!:)

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Now that I have 4 smokeable pipes, I use 2 a day and smoke a total of 4 to 6 bowls per day. This gives my pipes a chance to cool between smokes and then a full 24 hours of rest afterwards. I think I "need" at least 2 more to get to that 48 hour rest period.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I just recently stared a rotation as in keep my 7 nice pipes for English, balken, Va's Ect. and my 6 cheap pipes for Aros Cheap as in they did not cost a lot or where used gift pipes. I use my meer for tasteing new tobacco and my 2 cobs when I am out in Nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.