Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Rotating between blends

(45 posts)
  1. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi,how would you think if it advisable new smoker to rotate, say between two various blends during the week(for instance keeping open a tin of English mixture and Virgina flake) or may it be better to finish one tin and only then go and crak open another type of a blend.Thank you for your thoughs.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's up to you. I think most people have more than one blend available to them at any given time.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 32 open.

Many smokers adhere to a "rotation" where they have a basic schedule of what they smoke. When I feel like I having a smoke, I stare at my jars for a while toiling over what MIGHT be the perfect smoke for that moment, opening jars and smelling... Once I've chosen a tobacco, I choose a pipe.

I like having the options open to me, and properly jarred tobaccos will keep indefinitely, so open whatever you want so long as you store it properly!

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe should be an enjoyable experience. I like the freedom of doing what I feel like, smoking what I feel like, when I feel like it. Too much regimentation would make the pipe seem like work. Some seem to like a lot of rules, perhaps it's a matter of not liking to make decisions, simply following some artificial set of rules. Such would sap all of the enjoyment from the experience for me. But, too each his own. I think how a person smokes a pipe has more to do with one's personality. Do what you like!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi, Pipesmokingtom, unbelievable 32 open , but yes, maybe is better to keep 2 open at least in order to avoid to be bored which may happen if one keeps smoking one type of the mixture whole week or longer.I have that Tight vac container for mixtures whereas flake tobaccos I usually do keep in their original tins or puches well wrapped,

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

completly agreeing with you Mr. Warren-Thanks for your thoughs

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. ahmadothman

Ahmad Othman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rotate between around 15-20 blends over 7 pipes.. And it makes it more enjoyable for me

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” - Albert Einstein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rotate among 4-5 blends, sometimes blending the blends.....

As several have said, there's no right nor wrong way. Whatever is comfortable to you.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have probably 30 blends in 60 4oz mason jars. At one or two bowls a day it can take me a while to get through a tin.

And I like to mix it up, so I want it as fresh as possible. When I empty a jar I wash it and put it aside for the next new tin I open.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I mix it up. Haunted Bookshop is a main go to. I find starting the day with Lat. blends tend to be a little to much for me. I work up to a Lat. blend if it's in the rotation that day. C&D Buffalo Soldier is my favorite Latakia mixture, by the time I smoke it, it's has the perfect flavor for the end of a summer day. In the winter, I start with Buffalo Soldier and work up to something like Gaslight, Nightcap, or MM 965.

It's all about you and your taste. Enjoy!

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All right,Very interesting,as to me,think rotating between 2-4 no aromatic different blends will fit me nicely,although just not long ago tried me an Aromatic Danske Black Vanilla flake,and discovered the natural tobacco aroma being fainted by vanilla
    then gave it away to a buddy.Over the years I find Va and Va Per flakes and light english mixtures suit best for me,yet I should go thorough some orientals such as Presbyterian mix and VAburl such as US made CarterHall tobacco.there are tons to try out there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I rarely smoke the same blend twice in a row, and rarely smoke the same pipe twice in a row, for that matter. Variety is the spice of my pipe-smoking life, so I can pretty well echo pipesmokingtom's reply. I think I only have about 20 blends in active rotation, though, and often have to fight the urge to open new tins.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forums people are a special breed and nearly all of us enjoy a wide variety of blends from time to time, and those we smoke regularly constitute our rotation, but this changes continuously over time for most of us. Between the blends and single leaf tobacco I've bought for myself, those that have been gifted to me by family and friends, and samples and whole tins sent me by Forums members, I have a wide selection of tinned and jarred tobacco. Some of the unopened tins have been with me for years, while I sampled and enjoyed the many that are opened. However, many old guard pipe smokers have one or two favorite blends they smoke, often over-the-counter blends like Carter Hall or Prince Albert, but sometimes more specialized blends. My dad smoked a pipe almost all day for decades, never anything but Granger. Others smoke a few blends, but only those. One of the premier tobacco blenders, who is also a Forums member, informed us that 95-plus % of all pipe tobacco purchases are aromatics, so that is also worth remembering. Here on Forums, I would say about half the members smoke mostly non-aromatic.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Dear Mso489 and thank you for your detailed answer, didn't imagine that so high a percent of pipesmokers in US are preferring aromatics, as to me,most always when I'm trying them(aros)I do find them boring and with lesser character than no-aros.While now when i'm trying to lead to minimum my 30+ cigarette(Ryo)habit and switching to pipes, I think I will go like these old guard pipers just sticking with basics and keeping rotating between 2-3 blends at a time.Today I'm into Virginia+ virginia perique flakes- like to have me some challenge+ it is summer-good time for pure virginias, next up, I'll have to try some Prince Albert and Carter Hall the U.S all time favorites, as far as I know,these two onesare burley based blends and possede good burning qualities, although in past I had me a pouch of H&H and didn't find mind it finding it had something a chewingtobacco like taste in it ,but thats another matter,it was Nice to chat,have a Nice sunday day coming,

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the way you're headed. I think that a basic understanding of pipe smoking with one blend is the first step to success.

I think I will go like these old guard pipers just sticking with basics and keeping rotating between 2-3 blends at a time.

I was also a RYO guy for many years. I too found 1/2 and 1/2 a tad bit overtopped.
    I went through most of the codger blends and found that they all became reliable and tasty once 'learned'.
    I admit to trying other tobacco blends too, but as a former cig smoker, my bowl frequency was driven by a nicotine addiction that I learned to tame with proper (membrane assimilation rather than inhalation) pipe smoking technique.
    SWR, CH and PA are solid performers.
    Happy Pipe smoking and welcome to the forums!
    Mike

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. gtrhtr

gtrhtr

Login to Send PM

Go for what you feel like at the moment, or what you have the most of...

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it's all about you! I rotate 4 or 5 categories comprising of 16 opened blends or so.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you Gentlemen for your thoughts I will keep it simple-funny thing, in Ryo cigarettes I only smoke but kentucky dark fired
    whereeas when it comes to pipes,obviously cant handle these types nor do want a strong latakia mixtures,much too pungent in flavor and too high in nicotine(Dunhills)for my likings,the Red Man all american Chewing had the same effect on me-
    all right Y'all have a Nice Sunday day there in the States,Paul

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The fact is a lot of blends taste extremely similar to each other. Some people get some kind of kick out of being connosieurs, others like me don't. I have one English, one VA-Per and one kind-of aro. They are all vastly different in taste, so it's easy for me to pick which one to smoke. It's like salad, meat and dessert, you know which one you want when. Sometimes having too many choices can be intimidating.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. lotharen

lotharen

Login to Send PM

Wow, 32 open! That's amazing. I can't even fathom having 5 different tobaccos.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. jmatt

jmatt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 26 open blends at the moment. and 82 different tobacco blends on hand overall. In the last week, from memory, I've had at least one bowl of each of the following:

Anniversary Kake - a VaPer
    Cult Blood Red Moon - an Aromatic
    Peter Heinrich's Special Curly - a VaPer
    Lane Limited Dark Red - an Aromatic
    John Middleton's Prince Albert - a Burley blend
    Esoterica Stonehaven - a VaBur
    Motzek Strange - a VaBurPer
    McClelland Tudor Castle - a Virginia blend
    McClelland Blue Mountain - a Balkan
    Balkan Sobranie - a Balkan
    Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug - a Virginia

So that's 11 different blends this week.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Currently around 60 jars in open rotation. I just smoke whatever bites me at the moment. No rhyme or reason just impulse.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Duane's style, cuz I do the same thing...in reality, he's just copying me...

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Yup, Stan is my role model.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@pipesmokingtom, we have approximately the same number of blends and the same exact method. It's good to see a brethren spirit out there. Once I started jarring tobacco, I figured I should have access to many, many blends. I put one in the cellar and I leave one out on my desk of pipes and tobaccos. I want to feel like I am at the B&M every time I choose a tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Open as much as you can. When I started to smoke, I was having 2 or 3 blends open at a time like you do, right now I have 16 open blends and I still want to open more. That's they way humans evolve. We have to explore new things, new planets, new universes and of course new blends.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke about twelve bowls a day, and I very seldom smoke the same tobacco or the same pipe twice in a row. I move from one genre to another with the majority of my smokes as well. Changing flavor profiles from smoke to smoke keeps me interested, and helps refresh my palate as well. I have 40 to 50 blends open at the moment, but that number will go up because I'll be reviewing new to me samples this week. The most I had open at one time was 158.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mister Jiminks' I'm always on the look out for your reviews of various tobaccoes, find em'informative and like your very professional approach. I do value them high here and likewise on the Tobaccoreviews.com ,Thank you for your efforts and keep up the good work'as saying goes. Think,You are one of those rare experts out there.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Jim is our resident legend. He did, however, once accused me of having kryptonian DNA for calling HH Bold Kentucky a "mild tobacco".

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Paulie: thank you for the kind words.

ChasingEmbers: thank you for the first sentence. As for the second sentence:

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. samon

samon

Login to Send PM

There are plenty of ways to go about your smoking pattern. Two main ones though imo.

Smoke the same stuff all day everyday in the same pipe that is cake blocked and scorched worse than the devil hooves and turn up your nose to new blends, like a proper old sod of the good ol' days!

Or don't be boring git and wet your beak a little and explore a few different blends over a week, while maintaining regular use of your favourite blend.

As for me, I smoke mainly Nightcap atm, I have a bunch jars of other heavy latakia blends and some random stuff just to change the mood should I feel like it most of the time. I think atm I have a Nightcap jar, an Ashton artisan mixture jar, Solani aged Burely flake jar (because I'm trying out some pure Burley), some maple brown twist to chew in another and some Samuel Gawith Cabbies mixture in twist form in another just because it looks cool.

And I smoke one pipe most of the day on most days. Suits me fine, bit gurgly at tmes but no biggy. Sometimes pull a different pipe out my collection for a different blend etc at night just for the sake of using them. Good to keep it simple I reckon, smoke my latakia stuff in my fave pipe all day and maybe go for something different when I'm bored at night. Keeps me happy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

ChasingEmbers: thank you for the first sentence. As for the second sentence:

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi,how would you think if it advisable new smoker to rotate, say between two various blends during the week(for instance keeping open a tin of English mixture and Virgina flake) or may it be better to finish one tin and only then go and crak open another type of a blend.Thank you for your thoughs.

For a new smoker, I would suggest one at a time. Get to know that blend a bit before you move onto something else. I have seen plenty of posts here from guys that try to smoke half-a-dozen different things right out of the box,and it confuses them.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 2 years ago #
  34. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on what Jud has offered.
    A beginner is learning about everything from scratch. Some have expectations based upon reading forums, watching videos, or from acquaintances.
    By staying with one blend at first, admittedly one of reasonable quality, you begin to notice that you taste the tobacco differently from bowl to bowl, and that this depends upon all sorts of variables.
    You're learning to use your palate.
    You might also be smoking your tongue, but that is sometimes part of the learning curve, and it's not the tobacco's fault. Changing tobacco won't cure a cooked tongue.
    If your pipe gets hot, let it go out.
    If your pipe goes out, try to understand why.
    Most of the time for me it's because I packed too tightly. Even those bowls CAN be rescued with a few lucky piercings of the contents with the pointy end of a Czechs tool.

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on pipesmokingtom's first entry! Absolutely the same here!

All the above posts led me to actually count jars I have open... a quick, cursory glance: it's gotta be at least 50 different blends. And after that, it's all a matter of inspiration, mood in the moment, and joie de vivre! 70% of the time, I pick the perfect blend for that particular moment. I love having the variety. Oh... and there's no strict regimentation here like a rotating schedule. Also, if I hate a blend initially, I have found that if I just wait and return to it at odd intervals, even up to a year, many times miracles happen and what was once a loathsome blend initially becomes a favorite!

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  36. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started smoking only one. Then, like many I added virtually everything I could get my hands on. After a few months decided 30 + was too much hassle. For me, it took away from my enjoyment. Today, I have 6 in rotation. I think that's about right for me.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. rupertus

rupertus

Login to Send PM

Great thread and lots of great information! Should have read this before I posted my question today.

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great thread and lots of great information! Should have read this before I posted my question today.

Nah. We like repeating ourselves. If we didn't, we wouldn't have much to talk about. Worry not.

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Despite my moderate, gradual smoking, I have about 30-40 blends available in open tins or jars, and that again in sealed jars. An unopened tin can sit around with me for...years. A number of those available are samples sent by generous Forums members.

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today, I have 6 in rotation. I think that's about right for me.

Me too!

1 Burley
    1 Virginia
    1 Aromatic
    1 English
    2 jars of stuff I don't get much to smoking anymore.

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  41. tmb152

tmb152

Login to Send PM

I currently have about 20 or so blends open at the moment and often mix different blends together in different ways to suit the mood as well as to experiment, but I have this theory that as time goes on, I will settle down to a much smaller number but that is probably just another pipe-dream.

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Duane. I think I've got about 60 to 80 blends in mason jars that I rotate depending on how I'm feeling. Then I also have a bunch of unopened backup tins.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

hextor

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 3 tins open, I am looking at others but I cant resist, I love to taste the new blends that I get in the mail.

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you have trouble deciding whether you want a steak or a piece of cherry pie? If you do then you might need a rotation schedule. Otherwise if you're like me you know what you want to smoke at any given time.

I can see though that if I had dozens of blends I might be in a quandary from time to time, as so many of them vary by only subtle differences. That would stress me out, and pipe smoking is supposed to be relaxing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I shall keep it low, round 3 packs open at time((there is that finance side to this,too))but if this was only one blend durning the entire week, I'll be getting bored very quickly, still, I'm been observing many of so calOld timers ,they used (and use)to smoke 1-2 tobacco type at most and this pretty much all time..

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, jiminks, tuold, paulfg, catyrpelius, sasquatch, cshubhra, sumusfumus, georged, agnosticpipe, cortezattic, pitchfork, malicev, railman