PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As I was shopping for the pipe that will have to satisfy my PAD for the next 60 days, I have really leaned towards a Peterson Rosslare. But.. now I'm finding out there's actually two series with a Rosslare finish.
It appears there's the Rosslare "Classic" and the "Royal Irish" in a Rosslare smooth finish (pics below). From what I've been able to tell the differences are

* The Royal Irish line is supposed to have no fills in the briar

* The silver spigot on the Royal Irish vs. the straight fit on the shank in the classic with just a silver band adornment

* The Royal Irish has the Peterson system, the classic does not
Three questions

1) Does anyone know if there any other differences ?

2) Would you the extra $40 to get the Royal Irish ?

3) Has anyone ever done business with "Cigarsandmore" in St.Louis ?
Once again, thanks for all the help :puffpipe:
The Rosslare classic.
002-029-12529.jpg

The Rosslare Royal Irish.
004-004-0598.jpg

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
They both look great! If I were in your shoes I would choose the classic and use the extra $40 on baccy. :puffy:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
OTD: Is that spigot like an army Mount ?
Here's the reasoning: If it has the peterson system, I heard they sometimes gurgle. Hence if I do get a Peterson with the system, I would want the army mount as you can take it apart while warm. So.. if the Irish Royal has the system, I want an army mount, which this spigot seems to be...
I know.. it's $40 extra so less baccy.. but I've got a couple of pounds in jars, I can still afford about 6 or 8 tins even with the higher priced pipe.. I should be good for 60 days ;-) (see my other thread)

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, I know ya'll will, the spigot and army mount are the same concept, the difference being the spigot is metal clad.
And your reasoning of being able to pull the stem at any time is partially why I'd go with the spigot as well.

Mainly I think they look great!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I would say that like most things, there's a lot of personal preference to be considered. I personally love Peterson Pipes but do not like the systems. Anytime you see a Peterson Pipe with a SPACE FITTED stem like the Royal Irish it is a system pipe. A smooth transition stem is usually no system. Personally I really like the Rosslare, I'd just shop for one that has very few small or no fills. As you know, it's just aesthetics and fills don't bother me, it's the smoking properties I'm looking for. So whatever floats yer boat, go for it. Both are great looking pipes and sure to deliver a lifetime of pleasure.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
One other comment that I would like to address is I'm not too sure that the Royal Irish is a true Silver Spigot. I believe it is a silver band on the tenon section as I have seen on a lot of pipes. A true spigot would be completely covered in silver along the whole of the tenon. Has anyone seen this pipe with the stem removed to clarify this? Just wondering.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Docwatson: Thanks for the info.
This is now eating my lunch while eating my lunch ;-)
On the Peterson Collectors forum they clearly indicate that the Royal Irish pipes, although fitted with the spigot, are not system pipes. The tenon is vulcanite or acrylic wrapped in silver. Thread below.
I'm waiting for a response from cigarsnmore. If they have it and can send me a picture of the pipe, I may pull the trigger on it. Unless someone tells me to stay away from that retailer. The baccy order goes with one of the sponsors ;-)
http://btheinternationalpetersonpipeclub.runboard.com/p14266

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
a peterson spigot is on my list to get here soon, i have a couple petersons with army mounts and they are great, one of them is a system 305 and it smokes just fine.

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
Mick, after readering the link you provided, I'd say for only $40 more you are get a much better pipe.

Solely going on info they provided....I know nothing about either pipe.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
@ Mick,

THANKS for setting me straight with the link on the two different grades of Peterson Rosslare and Royal Irish. I am a member of the Peterson's forum and should've referred you to that and done my research as well.

It was very interesting to read that the Royal Irish is considered one of their high grades, where the Rosslare is not. In that case my personal preference would be the Royal Irish. It's a fantastic looking pipe AND a true Silver Spigot, AND no fills!!! :clap: I'd pull the trigger on that one myself. Happy shopping. Hope you land that beauty.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I found a Royal Irish rosslare in a 999 shape (to compare with the Rosslare classic at the top).
If cigarsnmore doesn't respond to my emails and phone calls tomorrow, I'm pulling the trigger on the 999 Royal Irish.
3254b.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
As I said.. If i didn't hear back from an online vendor, which imho has now made it to my blacklist, I was going to pull the trigger on the Rhodesian.
I did...one Rosslare Royal Irish bent Rhodesian coming my way ! It'll sit nicely next to the Harp I have in the same shape.
Don at James Island Piper is extremely helpful, quick to respond and overall a very nice guy. I know he's not a sponsor, but he's listed under the links on here, so I guess I can give him a referral. If I get it as fast as his email responses have been, I will definitely do business there again. He's got some nice stuff listed.

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
I've had my eye on the Rosslare(s) line for a long time. This one may not have run you as much scratch... it's not a rhodesian(nor a Royal Irish) - but it sure looks good. Too much bread for me though.

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
Hey all, just saw this one at smokingpipes.com. Thought it was a good price @ $90.00.

Condition: 4.9/5 Smoked, but very clean.
004-004-1265.jpg

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/ireland/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=90079

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Nice....
I was looking for the smooth Royal Irish. Mark didn't mention this one to me earlier in the week, so it must have just come in. But yeah, $90 is a good deal on this one. They run from $160 to over $200 in the smooth finish. So if anyone wants a Royal Irish, this is a good grab

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I love a Rhodesian! I have several Peterson's but there take on the classic shapes can leave me cold. The 999 and the 265 are my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.