PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I broke from my normal and placed an order with smokingpipes instead of P&C this month. I only did this because of a Rossi Rubino Author pipe I had been eyeing for a while. I really like the shape and wanted to go with a lower priced pipe to add to my "bumming around" group of pipes. Ones that I can pretty well take anywhere anytime and not worry too much about them receiving some abuse. P&C just didn't have what I was looking for in stock so I went with smokingpipes who seemed to have plenty of Rossi pipes to choose from. But as exciting for me as the new pipe I also ordered 6 new blends to try, one 2oz tin of each. This brings me to my main point of my post.... I'm looking for opinions on which I should sample first. I've researched each and all come well reviewed and fall under blend categories I'm currently enjoying, but I want to know which you have tried that you would rank above the others. The tins I ordered are:
G.L. Pease - Chelsea Morning

G.L. Pease - Westminster

McClelland - Frog Morton Bayou

McClelland - Frog on the Town

Seattle PC - Mississippi River

Seattle PC - Plum Pudding
As I mentioned these are all brand new blends for me. I enjoyed my last round of GL Pease and Frog (original & cellar) sample blends, but these are my first two SPC blends. I'm curious as to which you would call your favorite. Also if anyone has any good or bad things to say about Rossi pipes or the 8320 shape I'd love to hear them!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have bought two new Rossi pipes in the last two years and found them good. They have the shapes and a lot of the quality of Savanellis at a savings, and I especially like the series without filters. That's a good selection of tobaccos. My only advice would be to go ahead and smoke the GLP Westminster fresh. I aged a tin, and the Lat went almost completely flat, so I had to supplement with condiment blending tobaccos, though many really love this blend.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I have an 8320 Rubino myself and this is my go-to: McClelland - Frog on the Town
It's a latakia based tobacco so room note is similar to a light campfire; flavor is pretty mild and it's a consistent smoke. I think you'll like it.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
My only advice would be to go ahead and smoke the GLP Westminster fresh. I aged a tin, and the Lat went almost completely flat
That's no good to hear, how long had it aged for? I always end up ordering a few extra tins of any blend I like to cellar. I've found that the latakia has mellowed in my older blends (5-7 years) but usually not in a bad way, definitely not what I would call "flat". I never enjoyed latakia before then so I can't speak to anything aged beyond that time frame.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Mississippi river is delicious. I find it more sweet and sour than the plum pudding.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Well finished and a great smoker especially with Balkan, Oriental and Latakia blend. Great value.
Exactly what I was hoping for. I wanted a wider bowl pipe I could dedicate to all the above. I've been on a kick lately but the majority of my pipes have smaller diameter bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.