PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I have been smoking pipes for more than 40 years so this is a bit embarrassing. There are 31 wonderful pipes in my collection including briars, meers and a Ropp cherrywood. When I recently came across a nice looking and reasonably priced piece with a rosewood bowl it drew my interest. I purchased it new and fired it up the same day. Within 20 minutes, I felt nauseous and a truly disgusting aftertaste remained with me until the following morning. Some subsequent research told me that rosewood emits a poisonous gas when heated (like in a pipe). How is it that people continue to use this stuff in pipe making? Just be warned, my friends. Stick with the old standards and don't be drawn in by the low prices of these instruments of death.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Yes, good to know. I have heard certain hardwoods are toxic but I didn't know rosewood was one of them.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Did the site you bought it on say anywhere that this pipe was for display only? I don't see how it would be legal to sell known poisonous consumables to people, even the wicked tobacco industry has standards it keeps.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
It was a Lucienne, dhizzy. Yet another reason to stick with what you know and trust.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
It was on eBay. It's description specifically spoke of the "cool smoke." They even included pipe cleaners and filters. I should have known better.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I know that there are several different kinds of wood called "rosewood." Surely the poisonous variety isn't the one used for pipes??? seakayak, did the pipe have a funky stain inside the bowl, I wonder? Cup O Joes sells rosewood pipes -- http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&tier2=444 -- which doesn't conclusively prove they're safe to smoke, but they are a very reputable pipe dealer.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think that steers me away from rosewood pipes. If anyone has any more information on this, I'd be

glad to know about it. I think Cup O Joes would check out their products. That was where I was

considering buying a pipe. My only alternative to briars and cobs has been Mountain Laurel pipes, made by

a carver in N.C. There was some discussion of Mountain Laurel pipes, but I believe it was concluded

that the problem was with non-root parts of the laurel plant. I've been fine with these pipes, one of

them smoked since 2002.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
Rothnh has summarized this issue well. When considering a pipe purchase, especially in these troubled times, be certain the maker is a familiar one. If not, this forum is a fine place to ask questions before laying down your hard earned dollars. Over the years I have spent with this community of gentlemen (and ladies) I have always benefitted from the wisdom offered.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I worked with Honduran rosewood years ago. The dust is a sensitizing agent producing a rash similar to poison ivy. I've never had any desire to use rosewood in a pipe...(It actually would look great as a stem accent)

Aug 14, 2012
Coco Bolo is another exotic hardwood to avoid. When you work it, it is a gorgeous purple violet. That oxidizes into a warm brown gold color. The dust is said to be toxic.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
There are many species of rosewood. If my memory serves me, coco bolo is actually one of them. I know duck/goose call makers who use it wear masks and use dust collectors when turning it on a lathe. The dust, supposedly, can cause serious lung problems. IMHO, rosewood and all subspecies, should be left for making guitars, game calls, and gun stocks. Not for pipes!

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Yes, Cocobolo is one of the rosewoods. African Blackwood is also. The rosewood family has "Dalbergia" in its latin name. While some are worse than others, they are all toxic. Lung and skin are the ways that it gets you. I have seen rosewood pipes. I have seen people smoke them. I have seen people make chopsticks out of rosewood.

No way would I use any of them.

Heat them up and pull the volitized resins into you body!! Oh, my god!
anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.