PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I was looking at SPC and the Ropp Vintage and Vintage Superior pipes.
I guess my understanding is that these are approximately 50 year old stummels that have been completed and are for sale now at a fairly good price.
Anybody have one that would like to share their opinion of them?

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I own one of the superiors and they are quite nice, light, and smoke well, but they are smaller pipes by today's standard.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Like Mothernature, I'm not a huge fan of the horn stems. They LOOK great, but I just don't find mine to be too comfortable.
The non-horn, though, are among my favorite pipes. I have four in total. They are light, attractive and smoke well.
They are small, but I look at the dimensions, to try to pick ones with bigger chambers.
Bigger chambers, though, means thinner walls. I need that, as it helps remind me to SLOW DOWN, but if you like heavy, thick-walled pipes they might not work for you.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I own one with a horn stem. I intentionally bought a smaller pipe than I usually like, since I knew the stem was going to feel hard on the teeth and reasoned a smaller pipe would mitigate that.
Very handsome pipe; good smoker. A bit of history at an easy price point.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have no problems with the horn stems since I don't clench, I really like the mouth feel and the bowl size is in my wheelhouse, I own two and the are fantastic smokers so I thoroughly endorse them, regards.

banjo

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I ordered this one...
2co6h51.jpg

5.25" long, .75" wide x 1" deep bowl. Not a fan of panelled pipes, but this one just appealed to me. I'll probably buy a smooth pipe soon in addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.