PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
This small bulldog arrived yesterday. I've smoked three bowls in it now, and I am pleased with the pipe, especially given its fairly modest cost. This is one is from their "Vintage" series, which sports a horn stem.
I'll need to smoke it for a while to see how well the plastic tenon holds up (not sure how robust it is). And the rustication is not up to Savinelli standards (but then again, neither is the price). But my first impressions are quite positive. The draw is wide open. The pipe stays lit. It smokes fairly cool. The chamber is fairly small, which makes it perfect for a morning smoke. It's extremely light weight.
It is a pipe that I would feel very comfortable traveling with: a good smoker, yet were it to break or get lost, I would not be out an arm and a leg.
I don't see Ropps mentioned very often. Not sure if it's because they don't have a big presence in the States. Or perhaps other reasons.
Anyway, so far so good with this one.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Oooo, I saw that pipe and almost bought it. I am intrigues by the horn stem. How does it feel in the teeth?

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I've found I prefer to smoke the pipe without a softie bit. That being said, horn is a lot more fragile than ebonite/vulcanite or a resin, so clenching isn't the best idea - even if the pipe is very light. Still, I'm not concerned about breaking the stem (as I thought I might be). This material had been used in pipes for hundreds of years, so it must have its value. It's different, and I like that.
The horn smokes neither warmer nor cooler than other stems. No difference in flavor of tobacco either. But I suspect horn costs more to produce. So to get a traditional material like horn on a $75 (new) pipe is reasonable.
I was going to buy either this or another Peterson (my favorite marque). So I called the vendor that I always purchase from and talked with one of the folks there. He said that both he and another fellow there have Ropps, and that he recommends them highly. The horn will hold up to use (but not abuse), and this Ropp Vintage series is not the average pipe.
The black rustication/cream stem makes a very good visual. The light weight and smallish size make it very pocketable. It's breaking in very easily (compared with my Petersons). I like it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice looker, no question. I have a few bulldogs and love their down-to-earth look. My little Stanwell 32 is

a great flake smoker, just the right size, and feels weightless. Supposedly, it's the original Stanwell shape.

This Ropp is distinctive; the contrasting stem really sets it off.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I had one of Ropp's natural wood/branch pipes, and it was badly constructed. Wouldn't buy another.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
As for construction, it is not up to the standards of a Savinelli or entry level Peterson. I would compare it to my Grade 3 Nording Freehand. The Notding cost $20 more, so I think we get what we pay for.
I don't think this pipe will make the regular rotation. I like it for what it is. But I have better pipes.
I could make a good argument that my MM Country Gentleman is a "better" pipe. But for me, I like to enjoy all my pipes for what they are.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Andy, nice pipe, I have been eyeing the hell out of the extensive selection of those that SP has on their site. I will probably get one eventually, and with that proceeding they are hard to pass up. Thanks for your review and I think that everything you said is spot on. Cheers and enjoy!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Just wanted to post an update for those of you who mentioned an interest in this Ropp series with the horn stems: I am amazed that such an inexpensive pipe can smoke so well. But for those of you who require a clencher - this probably isn't it. The stem narrows down to very narrow, so there's not a whole lot to clench. Good news: it is very light so clenching is possible, though not all that comfortable. I'd also add that the horn itself won't stand the rigors of heavy clenching.
But as far as smoking characteristics - it's a fine pipe and a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.