PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I'm looking at a Ropp pipe I found for $75, but I don't really know anything about the brand nor their pipes. Could anyone enlighten me as to whether this is a good deal or not? Still on the hunt for a poker, and I think I found a good one with this Ropp. Just want to make sure the 75 is a good price or if I should look elsewhere

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have 3 of the Ropp's with the horn stems and absolutely love them. Great little pipes at a phenomenal price. I say go for it.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
i own one of the blasted billiards with the horn stems and it was worth every last penny of the $75 i paid. I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on another one, especially at that price point. Add another $20+ worth of tobacco and you're at free shipping as well. Good luck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife bought me a Ropp apple red stain and red stem pipe at an incredible discount for Christmas.

It's a good little pipe, a smooth smoker. It did have a stinger, which I easily removed. I think they are

good French pipes, which tend to be the best factory pipes dollar for dollar.
Of all the Peterson pipes, I think their tankards are probably the least desirable. I don't own one, and

I like all the Petersons I own, but I have not heard anything that good about tankards.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chal', I rather like the shape of those Peterson tankards myself, but they lack the bulk and durability of

most of the Petersons. I have just seen one or two gripes about the tankards, and I think it related to

the drilling, but maybe a Forums member will speak up for them. I don't have any firsthand experience,

so a recommendation would trump my having read a grumble or two. I did buy one of the Peterson

Group 1 Belgique, and I like it for an extra small pipe. I think it requires care,

to not break the slender stem carrying it as a pocket pipe, but otherwise, it's perfect for a short smoke,

a sample smoke, or for extra strong tobacco. If you could get a look at a tankard in person, at a pipe

shop or show, it might cinch the deal for you.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I bought a horn stemmed Ropp cutty from SP.Com. Haven't smoked her yet. Looks awesome though. I hadn't heard of anyone having a bad experience with them (until now).
I have transitioned on in my collecting to wanting hand made pipes. If you are close to that point in collecting but still desire a pipe like this, I would say buy it. It is cheaper than a Peterson and you will likely enjoy it as much.
Good luck in your decision.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Someone gave me a Ropp Canadian, with a horn stem. I enjoy it. Good size for a quick smoke.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have both a bulldog and a billiard with vulcanite stems from the lot of 40 - 50 year old stummels the crew at SP found in France. Both are great smokers. The stain job on both was sloppy though, requiring a good sanding of the bowl interiors before use. I think briar with that kind of age on it for $75 is a pretty good deal.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've bought one Ropp, and donated it quickly. I should have known better when I got it. It was a slim stemmed black billiard, but the briar was simply too thin to contain the heat of smoking. It also had a stinger, probably to help remove the overheating of the thin wood pipe. I would think twice about a Ropp.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
I tend to agree with sparrowhawk on this one. I think you can do better.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The comments about stingers brings something to mind. There are a lot of pipes out there branded Ropp, but only a few come from Smokingpipes, which is what the op is asking after. As far as I know, none of those pipes have a stinger.
Can anyone with one of the sp Ropp's comment on the airway drilling? Are these drilled with a narrow bore leading to a tight draw and potentially a wet smoke? Anyone know what they use for the tenon on the horn stemmed pipes?

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
I have a very nice ropp sitter which smokes great but probably only cost $20.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Can anyone with one of the sp Ropp's comment on the airway drilling? Are these drilled with a narrow bore leading to a tight draw and potentially a wet smoke? Anyone know what they use for the tenon on the horn stemmed pipes?
On the three I have, all drilling is spot on. All pipes easily take a fluffy pipe cleaner and the spacing between the tenon and mortise is excellent. Finally, the Ropp's I got from SP.com did not come with stingers, and we're not drilled for one.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I know nothing about the smooth ones, but the blasted Ropps with horn stems at Smokingpipes seem to be getting raves. I know the one I got is one of the best pipes I've ever had-- and the break in (which I usually hate) was almost a pleasure.

K

klause

Chalbach, I have a couple of old Ropps - great pipes - wouldn't hesitate to recommend 'em.
Also, have an old Peterson tankard - wonderful flake pipe.
Don't think you can lose whichever way you leap.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Bigpond the tenon on the SP "vintage" Ropps appears to be a Delrin insert in the stem. I have a bitty shag pipe version and the draw is fine if not quite as open as is now common practice. The button is tiny, so much so that I had to use a piece of silicone tubing as a "softy" since even small size 9mm commercial versions are too large. The thing probably only weighs half an ounce.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Awesome feedback. Thanks for commenting! It sounds like the stems were drilled to a modern standard using old stock which is quite nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.