PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
So I just got an oz. of Gawith and Hoggarth's Sweet Rum Twist from pipesandcigars.com, and I've been wanting to try these cuts of baccy for a long time now... But before I delve in, light up, and pass out from nicotine overload, how is it typically prepared and smoked? Moisture levels as well, perhaps? What's your folks' opinions?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I am actually in the beginning phases of an article about how to prepare ropes, twists, and plugs that will have video instructions.
But since you already have the tobacco and I'm sure that you can't wait to try it :lol: , I'll tell you how I prefer to prepare ropes/twists.
I use a sturdy and heavy cigar cutter and cut off coins off the rope/twist. Once you have some coins cut off, you can let them dry for a bit if you prefer or not.
Then you can prepare the coins however you want. You can rub them out, fold them and stuff them, cut them into cubes, whatever.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
I agree with Bob. I've tried knives and even disposable scalpels. Go to an antique store and find a tobacco cutter. Some have a rich history. I found a John Finzer & Bros. tobacco cutter. Unfortunately, the blade was rusted and doesn't quite meet the bottom so it doesn't cut all the way through. The other one, less decorative, does a great job cutting ropes and plugs.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Being a bit old fashioned I use a razor sharp pocket knife. Slice off a coin or flake and go from there.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Alrighty, I'm gonna try it guys... I took your advice and sliced off some coins (with a kitchen knife, cause I have no cigar cutter). It's been drying out for a few hours now, so here goes. I'll post later with news from my adventure in the sailor's leaf.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Cut 'em, dice 'em, slice 'em & dry 'em out. Good stuff and

generally best for me in small bowls, since they burn a long

time and I'm not a nicotine heavyweight.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
A sharp knife, a box cutter, a tobacco cutter all will work. Slice the rope/plug about the thiskness of a dime and allow it to dry some. These tobaccos were meant to be chewed and as such, are quite moist. After they are dried, you can rub them out, cube them or simply drop the coins into the pipe and smoke them. Don't expect alot of the flavor to come through and beware of the nicotine. It doesn't get much stronger.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
As ChuckW has pointed out, these blends are typically wet.

The flavor increases in proportion to how much you let them

dry out. When smoking coins, I like them crispy, or you can

rub them out and smoke them this way when dry. The coins and

cubes burn longer & cooler, but must be dry to provide flavor.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Wow... that was some heavy stuff. Definitely not a regular smoke, but I could get into it. Kept going out though, I only let it dry for a few hours. I'll let it dry overnight this time and maybe get some more flavor coming through when it's dry as you guys said. I'm really glad I tried this stuff, it'll certainly put hair on your chest. I think my testosterone levels just went through the roof. I gotta hit the open seas! Yo Ho!

Status
Not open for further replies.