PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theray

Lurker
Dec 7, 2011
What is the rationale behind packing tobacco in rope form, and what are some of your favorite rope tobaccos? Thanks!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Originally, the ropes were made by sailors to take to sea. The products produced today, especially the Gawith ropes, tend to be fairly strong. In the case of Gawith, I believe that the Brown is stronger than the black althouigh It could be the opposite. You cut the rope into coins and rub it out before loading.

I got both Brown and Black a couple of years ago and forget about them. When I "re-discovered" them they had dried out and unravelled. So, if you're going to get them keep an eye on them to avoid the issue I faced.

I chopped up the leaves and am in the process of re-hydrating. Not sure how this will turn out.

Good luck.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I avoid them for that same reason Jud. I like the historic tradition behind them but I think they would knock me on my butt. :D
Mr. Snuff has a good selection.

https://mrsnuff.com/store/gawith-hoggarth-c-186_188.html
and Little brown smoke shack has twists also.
http://www.lilbrown.com/product/tabid/96/productid/1605/sename/cotton-boll-plug-single/default.aspx

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
SG Brown #4 and G&H Brown Bogie are the only rope I've tried.
Both definitely release their nicotine with ease, grand stuff indeed.

I'm not that fond of the flavor of the Brown #4, the Brown Bogie though is a delight.

Jul 15, 2011
I have always been led to believe that the theory behind rope tobacco was as such:
Long ago, when men worked deep in the mines, they were rationed a little piece of rope tobacco each morning before heading into the mines. Now the mines were full of toxic fumes and gases, so obviously, they could not light up their pipes down there. What they would do is bite off a piece of the rope tobacco and chew it while they worked in the mines. When they went out for their lunch break, they would take the tobacco out of their mouths and set it aside, eat lunch, and then continue working. When they went home at night, their previously chewed tobacco had enough time to dry out, and they would then fill their pipe with the tobacco and smoke it.
I can't find a reputable hard reference to this, it is just what I have been told through the grapevine. Makes for a cool story though.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have read the same thing Novelist. Kind of like the old song,"Dose your chewing gum loose its flavor on the bed post over night" Talk about reduce reuse recycle! :) Yuck! There was a topic about small pipes a while back. I think those old clay pipes with small bowls were loaded with nic-heavy stuff like ropes? Just a dab will do ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.