PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Ok I have been moving away from aro's as they have no flavor for me that I have found. I am really enjoying the tobaccos like Nightcap and Black House as I get alot of flavor BUT the wifey does not appreciate the smell of these when I smoke them in my den.

Does anyone know of a good baccy with flavor, a "punch" and a decent room note.

I do want to say that she has been very good about me smoking in "my" room but when I come out and enter the living room I can tell the lingering aroma bothers her, she finally did mention it the other day. I would like to find a baccy that I can enjoy indoors and not offend the little lady.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Since you're moving away from aros all I could say is maybe SG Full Virginia Flake. It got an okay from the war department and has a good flavor and a bit of a nic hit.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake is kind of the gold standard for aros with both room note and some tobacco taste.
Beyond aros, I think Haddo's Delight has a good room note, as does Barbary Coast. But room note is subjective, I suppose.
Additionally, I think Peterson's University Flake, Erinmore Flake, and Orlik Golden Sliced are all good transitional tobaccos for the Aro smoker.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
05venturer,
Have you tried my blend? It does the trick for me... It is a "light" English Aromatic. PipesandCigars.com has it here: http://pipesandcigars.com/coditincabob.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

click on pic:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
4 noggins bald headed teacher, it's got a slight punch but by no means harsh, and has a wonderful kind of slight bar-b-que flavour and very tangy. I would suggest it as a great crossover blend for someone going from aro's into natural tobacco. Burley though has a nice room note usually, it's a sweet nutty like smell. Just let the Bald headed teacher dry out a bit and it really starts to take off, my first bowl of it was too wet and I didn't enjoy it, then revisited it yesterday and alot of flavour was coming out of it.

burg

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2012
You might try Frog Morton's Cellar. I love the taste and have gotten a few compliments on the note.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
CAO's Eileen's Dream is definitely an aromatic with a great room note. I'm not too experienced in the taste realm but it certainly is the most flavorful aromatic I've tried. Also MacBaren 7 Seas Regular is a good one.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm guessing that your wife is objecting to the scent of latakia. In which case, I think you're going to have to compromise with a straight Virginia or Virginia/burley flake or a Virginia/perique blend. (It's possible that there are some blends with a touch of latakia that wouldn't bother your wife, but you'd have to experiment. You might be able to get away with, say, Frog Morton.)
I'm not exactly sure I know what "flavor" means to you, but it sounds like a stouter, more medium-to-heavy blend might be more appealing. There are so many options, I don't really know where to start. But, yes, I'll echo the poster who suggested Pease's Haddo's Delight. I'd also suggest Escudo (VA/Per), Rattray's Marlin Flake (VA), Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake (VA/Burley), SG's Full Virginia Flake (VA). On the somewhat lighter side, a also really enjoy Virginia/cavendish blends, particularly McClelland's Anniversary and Rattray's Jocks Mixture. None of the blends I've mentioned contains any latakia whatsoever.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
BTW, I need to amend my earlier post: Jocks Mixture has a tiny amount of latakia in it, but to my palate it never stands out or is even noticeable as such. It just gives a kind of background roundness to the smoke.
Bob

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
@ 05venturer - Butternut Burley is a great blend. I haven't tried it on the wife yet, but the ladies at the office aren't offended.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
My special lady loves the smell of Vermont Meat Candy. And she hates 99% of the things I smoke. :wink:

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
My wife loves the smell of Wessex Gold Brick and it's a pretty damn good Virginia plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.