Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Room Air Filters/Purifiers

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What kind should I concider? Whats best?
    Thank you

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To remove smoke you need a three stage heppa system. To remove odor you will need an ozinator. Depending on the size of the room is how you judge what size heppa system you will need. They are measured in CFM's. A regular sized ozinator will work in large spaces. The three stage heppa filter consists of the heppa filter, a charcoal filter and a soft pre filter.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you know what brand or brands to look at without searching yourself?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have a Honeywell Air Genius 5 and I am quite happy with it. The filters are permanent but you do have to clean them when the indicator on the unit tells you to do so. It also comes with an "optional" charcoal filter for odors -- one charcoal filter pack comes, separately wrapped with the unit, which, if used, needs to be replaced every 2-3 months -- the charcoal filter is not permanent.

Will it totally clean up the air and make everything smell like springtime? No. IMO, nothing does, no matter how much you spend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was looking at air purifiers, I noticed the Rabbit minus a2's.

Sounds like cigrmaster is referring to some heavy duty equipment!

Installing a vent outake, like a smoke eater would probably be best. Thats like what B&m's use. Just a vent in the ceiling that moves air out. Id imagine they cost a LOT too.

A small purifier/filter like the rabbit would work with a small space. Keep in mind, this will only make the air a little cleaner and less stinky since you arent moving any air out. There are little ozone purifiers too, check out cigar aficionado who reviews them from time to time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roths honeywell sounds like the purifier I mentioned too... cleanable filters, replaceable charcoal.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Not worried about smell as much as turning the house yellow. I smoke cigars & pipes, wife still cigarettes. But going back to smell, we have non/ex smokers that come over, so concerned about them also.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Not long ago, when bars and restaurants had to go non-smoking, we could buy commercial SmokeEater units for pennies on the dollar on Craig's List, at used restaurant supply stores and from newspaper for sale ads. One of the clubs I belonged to at the time bought a couple for pennies on the dollar and they worked great. They would have cost thousands new.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah the best way is Harris’s way. But those are expensive. I’ve found a cheaper way if you are smoking in a cave like I have to. I put a carbon filter in the furnace, and use a Lampe Berger in the room that absorbs some of the smokes smell and adds to it. I use cinnamon. Lighter oils don’t work, I tried orange…Fail.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would go on line to CL and look for some commercial grade Heppa units. You want one that has a CFM rating of at least 1000. I had 4 1500 CFM units plus an ozinator in my pool hall for 20 years and not one time did any of the equipment ever break down. Stay away from anything that mentions electrostatic, those suck. I forget the name of my Heppa units, and no idea the name of the ozinator. I bought them all in 1990.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you all, bought the Honeywell Air Genius 5 for now. If this doesn't work will go the more expensive route. Have heard negative reports about the Ozone machines & actually have 2 that I prefer not to use. Bad PR on the ones I have & actually put the company that was selling it, went out of business.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. brudnic1

brudnic1

Login to Send PM

I use an exhaust fan built into the wall of my smoking room. No smell is detectable within 15 minutes.

Doña Agatha bat Tedesco
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   derfargin, smokeybear, condorlover1, skapunk1, dochudson, cosmicfolklore, newbroom, joshuaburgess, coalsmoke, lestrout, irish, tbradsim1, patiobum, yazamitaz