Rookie Question on Scrubbing a Pipe with Murphy's Oil

(16 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by mau1
  • Latest reply from sittingbear
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, so this is a bit of a dumb question. Can you be too thorough when scrubbing the bowl/shank of a pipe with Murphy's Oil soap? Will you end up taking off any of the stain?

Thanks

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 3 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

https://rebornpipes.com

A ton of specific answers to that exact topic.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I try to keep the oil soap OUT of the bowl interior, so I usually stuff a cotton ball in the bowl before I clean the exterior of the pipe with Murphy's Oil Soap and a medium toothbrush.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't use any cleaners or solvents on my pipes, except water. I cannot STAND the smell of that nauseating Murphy's Soap. I would just have to throw away a pipe after it had been cleaned with that stuff. YMMV.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also my answer. No reason or benefit to using Murphy's on a pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Murhy's Oil is formulated for floors and such, and not intended to be heated. You can keep a nice shine on your pipes just using a jeweler's cloth or any pair of slightly abrasive cloth, like a new bandana, and a soft cloth, like an old t-shirt. They don't leave any residue. I wouldn't try to simulate a perpetually new pipe, just keep it polished and spiffy. My opinion.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If really dirty, I might use a drop of dish detergent with hot water, on the exterior, but hot water only through the chamber and out the airway.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Cosmic and sasquatch on Murphy's. I hate the smell.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 3 months ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Highly odorous (aromatic) cleaning products are usually volatile if not always flammable, so you're picking up what I think chemists call monomers, which are stray molecules you really don't want to be ingesting or inhaling. Don't add to whatever risk pipe smoking entails.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes, I have a horrible sense of smell, but I can't stand the smell of Murphy's.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ooo, come on Didi, you can't smell that bad.

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't consider using Murphy's Oil soap for regular cleaning and it definitely wouldn't be used on the inside of the bowl. A serious rinsing goes without question. I would only use it in those cases where the pipe has a heavy build up of dirt or worked-in grime. I have a couple of estate pipes that are incredibly grimy and pipe repair sites like the one Ash mentioned recommend using it so I am fairly confident it's an acceptable practice. My concern is the possibility of removing the stain. I skimmed the rebornpipes article this morning but will go back to the site and do a deeper dive.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

I personally don't use it on new or new to me estate pipes that I purchase, as I keep those very clean.

As for cheap estates off of eBay or at yard sales, well that's a different story. As mentioned above, I followed rebornpipes articles on the matter, keeping the bowl covered and only using as little as needed to get the job done. I can attest that after some scrubbing with a cotton ball, a hot water rinse, followed by a 24hr dry time and then a full wax job, the results are stellar. YMMV.

Posted 3 months ago #
  14. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just a bit with hot water on the worst estate pipes is what I use. Yes some stain will come off in most cases

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would go the route of least evasive. First try water, then hot water, and if that doesn't work, coffee. Coffee is a mild acid that removes the toughest baked on rim char. And, if coffee doesn't work, it is most likely a flaw in the finish, so alcohol and everything you need to refinish.

Personally, I find Murphy's wood oil soap to be worthless. It stinks, it doesn't seem to get stuff off of the wood, and it stinks. And, there's just no need to use it. But, if you have your heart set on using that stinky crap... then have fun. It just blows my mind that you don't reflexively gag while using it.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

I had an older friend show me a trick one time. He used to smoke a pipe many decades ago. He said, "Let me see your pipe," and I handed it to him. He then took it and rubbed it all over his nose! He said, "The oil from your face is good for the wood." The dude slimed my effing pipe, but I have to admit, it did look nice and shiny.

I don't recommend this method. Instead, if you want your pipe to shine like it's brand new, simply wipe it down with a little mineral oil when you clean it. It polishes the wood right up, it doesn't smell, and it's not disgusting like an old man's nose grease.

Also, Decatur makes a briar polish, if you really need to scrub it. I'm sure there are alternatives.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brooklynpiper, trouttimes, dontbeaburleyman, alaskanpiper, krizzose, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob, metzmo, dmcmtk, elasmo