PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I don't even want to admit to this but I drilled out a new pipe way too big. Now the draft hole is 1/8. Is this a pipe that goes in the trash now?

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
My opinion, yes.
YMMV but trash it. I can even donate a pipe to you to enjoy.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You have nothing to lose. Try inserting a sleeve in the hole, something to restrict the draft hole down if you need to. What can it hurt to try. I have no idea the effect this will have, but you never know.
Here is one possibility:
stainless tubing

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This may help:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
story

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
If I just put a 9mm to 3mm adapter in the stem well it matter that the draft hole is bigger?

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Way to pretty to pitch. Try it 1st an see. If it doesn't do well follow embers suggestion. Curious though! Why did you drill a unsmoked pipe in the 1st place?

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
It whistled, I thought I could ream it just a little and it would stop but I did it too much and it didn't even change, pretty ridiculous but there it is

Mar 1, 2014
1/8" is actually pretty common, a few Artisan pipes go even higher to 5/32" so if you actually drilled a pipe to 1/8" it should be fine. Many factory pipes are 1/8" in the shank, it's normally the button that restricts airflow the most.
I actually drilled one of my pipes to a full 1/4", that is definitely too far, but hearing the advice on this thread I'm definitely going to try it with a pipecleaner in the shank. It's kind of funny that I didn't think of that sooner since it's something I love to do with Cobs.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
You could throw it away, I'll send you my address OR make some modifications as noted above. You know it just may work out better. I have a corn cob that someone drilled, as if the draft hole wasn't large enough, I put a piece of hardwood dowel in it and drilled a airway through the dowel. Remember, if you don't make a couple mistakes, you are not doing anything.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
That looks like a 9mm filter pipe. If so, just get some 9mm Savinelli balsa filters to use and see how that works. Or use the 9mm adapter plug if it came with the pipe, that will restrict the airflow. I don't think you ruined the pipe by any means, and it's too nice a pipe to just toss. Try smoking it and see how you like it.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Not sure I understand the issue. If I'm understanding you, you drilled the airway to 3.175mm or 0.125". Most modern pipes have airways starting at that diameter and expand up to 4.5mm or 0.177.

Status
Not open for further replies.