PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fernage

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Been wanting to do this for a while and finally turned 18 yesterday. Went to a cigar shop and loaded up on supplies: zig-zag papers, some local cherry blend from Seattle and a bag of Captain Black royal. My plan was to buy a grinder, grind the tobacco into a finer-cut, dry it out a little (as I've read pipe tobacco is damper) and try my darndest to roll a cig. Just looking for some suggestions, kinda set on this whole idea of rolling pipe tobacco, any input is appreciated though. Thanks guys

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Why not just buy a pipe and smoke it the way it was meant to be enjoyed? Nothing against cigs, I've always enjoyed a good RYO but rolling pipe tobacco to me just doesn't sound appealing, though I'm sure it's been done. I prefer a hand rolling machine, with a good shag tobacco, Tops papers, and a filter. If time to enjoy a smoke is a concern, there are some fine small pipes out there than can provide a quick smoke and still give you that pipe smoking experience.

fernage

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
I just don't like the idea of a pipe, a buddy of mine is into smoking them but I've always enjoyed the ease of not having to carry a pipe around. Nothing against pipes, they just personally don't seem too appealing, but pipe tobacco on the other hand has much more flavor which I love, plus I really don't inhale anyways. Would a rolling machine be of any use here or?...

fernage

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
Well where else would I go? A cigarette forum would have no idea about rolling pipe tobacco, and a RYO forum would be the same situation: they don't use pipe tobacco. Was hoping to find a couple pointers here seeing as you guys deal specifically with pipe tobacco

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
It'll work, Fernage.

I've rolled va/Per blends, and Lat mixtures. Like you say, get a grinder.
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the forum, friend.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
Any good cigarette paper will do. As for blends, well that will be up to your own personal taste. Just experiment, it's half the fun.
Good luck in your endeavors.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Congratulations on turning 18! If you are going to do this you might as previously suggested dry the tobacco out as most commercial blends are very moist. Buy a rolling machine and either use a strip of cardboard as a mouth piece or a filter. After you have inhaled it a few times you might become dizzy or even sick and then I recommend either switching to a pipe or giving the cigarillos a whirl. Happy New one and all as I have just returned from the UK and guess what I loaded up on in Duty Free!

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I've smoked pipe leaf in rollies before but it's far from optimal. I have some notion that the burning paper raises the combustion temperature beyond what the tobacco is designed for, so that flavours tend to get killed. The nicotine rush can also be unpleasantly intense, and I have a fairly high tolerance.
That being said you'll probably get the best results from as finely cut a Virginia or Virginia/perique ribbon as you can find. At the end of the day though my loudest advice would be to just get a pipe.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
When I was getting off cigs I was rolling 5 Brothers and found it perfect cut and moisture right out of the pouch. A pretty good nic kick too!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Pipe tobacco is not to be used in that way, you may make yourself sick. :puffy:

And if you are not into pipe smoking why are you here?

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Never mind the grouches. Give it a try. Some blends like Prince Albert were sold as roll your own and pipe. If you get to like pipe tobacco then know that it burns and tastes better in a pipe so get a cob and load one next time you are with your pipe smoking friend.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Cosmic... According to Wikipedia, 46 out of 50 states have set the required age to purchase tobacco at 18.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
My brother rolls "pipe tobacco" every day. Go for it. Some tobacco is marketed towards a specific customer. I think this is still a free country. Do whatever cranks your motor.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I'd still say that before going to the expense and hassle of your ROY program, buy an $8 cob and give that a try first. Think in the long run that a pack of matches, a cob and a pouch of Captain Black is easier and will deliver the flavor you crave - plus you'll be the coolest kid in town, IMHO anyway.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
In the past I have tried to roll pipe tobacco into cigarettes and it does not work well. It will go out, unless you draw frequently, which raises the heat, so that you taste only hot smoke. Nothing of the subtilities of a fine smoldering pipe. If you are going to carry a rolling machine, filters, lighter and paper, I wonder, how a corn cob and a lighter with integrated tamper could be more hassle. I will admit, in the beginning it may feel awkward to pull out a pipe among cigarette smokers, but this wears off quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.