PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've always had too many ideas colliding with each other in my head, but this time I'd like some help with taking flavorful delicious pipe tobacco, and rolling it into a pipe tobacco cig/cigar.
I love pipes to the ends of the earth, but they aren't always very convenient.
So I would like to know if anyone rolls up some pipe tobacco and if you would be so kind as to impart some of your wisdom onto this thread.
What blends do you find work very well in this alternate form?

What kind of papers do you use?

Do you use filters?

Must the tobacco be exceptionally dry to stay lit?

Do you use a personal machine or roll by hand?

Any helpful hints aside from "Don't do this it sounds stupid"?
I want to do this so I can carry around a badass silver cig holder and have it packed full of awesome pipe tobacco cigs. And while I can carry this thing around all the time I can offer regular cig smokers a different experience and maybe even introduce then to the wonderful world of pipe smoking.

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
I RYO mine and the girls smokes. I have a machine that shoots the tobacco into a pre filtered tube. The only pipe tobacco that I have tried is PA and thats great. I normally use the "pipe cut" tobaccos because they are cheaper and can be mailed.
My only advice to you is to make sure the tobacco is dry. I have been thinking about buying some blending lat and perq and adding it to my "pipe cut" tobacco.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
No experience here, but I think you need to use shags or cavendish cuts. (That's not to mean cavendish tobacco.) One popular blend that might work is McClelland 5100; but I don't think our highly flavored tobaccos work too well in the cigarette format. If it would work, I should think pipe tobacco manufacturers would have done it long ago.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think if pipe tobacco manufacturers tried to sell their "pipe" tobacco as also being suitable for the RYO crowd they'd have yet another fight on their hands.
So even though it's not advertised as such, like Cigar companies don't say that their product can "also be used in a pipe!", I think I'm going to give it the ole college try. :puffy:
@Russ - PA is on the top of my list because I have heard that everyone loves to roll it up. The fact that I've yet to try it is moot. lol

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I recall there was a brand of German import nails that were made with some vanilla pipe tobacco. I smoked them a long while ago, because they smelled awesome, tasted better than camels and came in a flat flip top box. I do remember the smoke being "heavy", but it wasn't harsh. They were pretty good, but were not cheap.
edit: This is my 100th post, I'm a Member now, Wo0T!!!111

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
I just rolled Spartans English mixed with my reg tobacco..... not good, not good at all. It tasted like.... I dont know what it tasted like, just know I wont be doing that again.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I mix my own rolling pipe tobacco, often using Carter Hall, Half & Half, some Latakia, etc. I use a Tops rollbox and 70mm Tops papers to make non-filter cigarettes. And no, the tobacco doesn't have to be super dry, but of course, you don't want it very moist either. You'll use less tobacco per cigarette than you would think, but it doesn't take long to figure that out.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I use one of them buck rollers and a heavyer rolling paper tops works well and yes unless its dry you will have to relight.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I could swear that a long time ago ( and it may be just my feeble mind) that Captain Black used to sell a type of cigarillo that was made of their CB White, but I have yet to see or find them anywhere, and as said maybe its just me. But I would love to have them for those occasions where a pipe is not feasable but a cigg would be.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1 Yuri,
I'm seeing a lot of praise for the OTC blends at the moment. And I believe I will work my way up to five brothers very soon lol.
I do have some 5100 on hand and I agree that it would be a great first candidate. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Daughters & Ryan sells some blends labelled as pipe tobacco, and I've tried a few of them (in a pipe).

Their Picayune blend rivals Five Brothers for nicotine strength. Gen-yoo-wine double-rectified bust-head!

It seems to me they're kind of a cross-over between pipe and RYO tobaccos. If you're looking for high

quality pipe tobacco that might work well in a cigarette, check out JF Germain's Royal Jersey Perique.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Many years ago in my misguided youth I use to roll DRUM pipe tobacco in EXPORT papers, It actually was a great smoke and quite strong. As I haven't smoked a cig in any form for over 20 yrs I can only assume it would still be great.

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
When I was younger, I used to roll cigs out of aromatic cavendish blends (oblivious to the fact that it was pipe tobacco). Due to the topping or the natural oiliness of the tobacco, I noticed that the cig began to get too moist and resonated to smoke about halfway through. If you're gonna roll pipe tobacco, I would recommend staying away from aromatics. Also make sure that the baccy is BONE dry before rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.