PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Hey guys.

I've always enjoyed smoking a pipe, but I also really like to smoke a cigarette every now and again.

I much prefer the natural qualities to pipe tobacco and I was wondering if it was possible to simple roll pipe tobacco in rolling papers and smoke it like a cigarette?
If so, I'd appreciate any pointers you guys might have!
Thanks

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I've rolled Dunhill Elizabethan in a paper and smoked it quite a few times. It makes for a fantastic smoke. Do not inhale, smoke it like a cigar.

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Awesome, thanks guys!

I've never rolled before.

Any suggestions on papers to use or technique?
I am in the camp of smoking the most chemical free that I can. So natural/organic tobacco and papers is a plus

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Stokkebye's Norweigen Blend is another good one. It can be bought in 2 different cuts, a ribbon for the pipe and a fine shag for roll-your-own cigarettes.
I use white label zig zags out of habit because that's all I've ever rolled anything in but I know that these are popular for those seeking a natural rolling paper http://rawthentic.com/classic-papers/regular/
Rolling takes some practice or you can pick up a little rolling machine like this to get perfect smokes every time http://rawthentic.com/classic-papers/regular/
Many pipe tobacco cuts are too chunky to smoke well in a paper so you may want to cut or grind it to a finer shag before rolling.

dotdotdot

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
I also tend to lean towards American tobacco if there any good ones. But I'll definitely check out the suggestions above!

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I'd add Ryback by D&R and McConnell's Fine London Cut. Both shag, but I would think make a fantastic cigarette/RYO kind of blend.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm a reformed cigarette smoker, and way back when I very first started smoking a pipe, I was also rolling my own cigarettes. I used Peter Stokkebye Norweigian Shag rolling tobacco, along with filters. On occasion, I would sprinkle just the tiniest amount of 1Q on top of the rolling tobacco before rolling (so that the 1Q would end up in the center of the cigarette surrounded by the Stokkebye rolling tobacco), and the hint of vanilla flavor was excellent.
I am trying to be 100% done with cigarettes, and quit smoking them even on occasion to minimize the possibility of cigarette relapse, but I would probably smoke one of those for old times sake.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
..."I was wondering if it was possible to simple[sic] roll pipe tobacco in rolling papers and smoke it like a cigarette?"
The obvious and simple answer to that is try it out yourself. You get the papers and the baccy then just go for it.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never smoked cigarettes, and I choose not to. But if you are going to roll your own with pipe tobacco, I'd agree, don't inhale, smoke it like a cigar. My wife gave me a little hand grater to prep rougher or less uniform cut blends, and this might make for a better RYO cut as well. I don't recommend RYO with pipe tobacco, but that's an idea, nonetheless. Oh, and as you may know, some of the bagged pipe tobaccos, most of it quite inexpensive, though it is marketed as pipe tobacco for tax purposes, it is also "just by chance" cut about right for RYO.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
In addition to a pipe I enjoy cigars along with the occasional hand rolled smoke, always made with tobacco I have on hand.

+1 for D&R Ryback, and probably many of the other D&R blends. Most have a fine enough cut and are shipped at a good moisture for rolling. I prefer D&R over the shag cut Stokkebye blends in general. Tried Balkan Sasieni once when I was craving a pipe and only had a few minutes, it was very satisfying. I think Dunhill Early Morning Pipe would make a good rollie. I have only rolled em a dozen or so times in the past couple years and it's worked fine every time. Try it, you'll like it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've smoked several Virginia and Burley blends in cigarette form but it is never ideal because of the cut - you can seldom get it fine enough.
The Stokkebye shag or D&R tobaccos are obviously more geared towards RYO so I am sure those are superior, mechanically speaking, in comparison to just rubbing out and drying your favourite blend.
It can do in a pinch to just quickly prepare a pipe tobacco blend but the results leave a lot to be desired...

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
At this point in time, more pipe tobacco probably ends up in cigarettes than in pipes.
Just about any shag or ribbon cut pipe tobacco can make a smokeable cigarette. Depending on how fine its cut and how moist it is, you may have to roll it a little looser than normal but, with a little experience, you can roll just about anything.
I use to use Captain Black Gold as a RYO. Really enjoyed it. If you are a fan of Galloises, try rolling a light English blend. Excellent.
I've learned that you don't have to inhale cigarettes to enjoy them, as long as you can retrohale.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well,prior to pipe, I used to smoke Ryo cigarettes for20 +long years,and used only the very best paper OCB-Black France,moreover in my opinion, Five Brothers and G&H Kendal dark, and Dark Birdeye shags suit best for roll Your owns

cajomu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
@mawnansmiff
Well, in my youth, I was a big fan of Parodi cigars. Used to inhale them. So, how much harder could it be to roll and smoke Condor Plug?

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
And let's not forget the old standards. Velvet and I believe Prince Albert were both once advertised as "Pipe And Cigarette" tobacco. I recently saw an Instagram post from Handlebar Mike (he also has a YouTube channel) where he was using a little rolling machine to make Cigarettes using Velvet pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.