PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chargerucd

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2013
Hello guys,

I have have ben pipe smoking for about 3 years now, so i have several tibaco i have tried (and some on reserve)
But my question today is about roll your own tobacco,

I have started to roll my own and have bought Bugler brand.

Today while loking at my "pipes and cigars" catalog, i saw bugler ofered as pipe tobacco.

Question is if all pipe tobacco could be used as rol your own? Or if all the roll your own can be used as pipe tobaco?
I dont see anywhere in the packaging designating bugler as pipe tobacco,

Another question is, what other tobacco can i use to rol my own, i want something a bit lighter than bugler.
Thanks for the help.
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Also please use your shift key as it makes it easier for others to read. Thank you Robert.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've never rolled a cigarette before so I'll be watching this thread. I was thinking about buying one of those Top Value rolling machines. So far as what pipe tobacco to use for rolling, I would think 5 Brothers pipe tobacco would work. Just sit down while smoking it.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@ray47-
From experience I can recommend the Zig-Zag rolling machine. They run about $5 at any of the usual high-class "smoke shops". :wink: If you have never used that type of roller before, they even come with a little instruction sheet.
Just my 2 cents on the RYO's I have tried: Bugler, Top, and Kite are horrible excuses for tobacco and not worth their low price at all. Drum is very good, but quite expensive for RYO. Red Cap is acceptable, and Red Cap #7 blend is very good. Our local convenience store chain stopped carrying those, and switched to Largo. Largo is terrible, and to be avoided. Prince Albert and Carter Hall both make a tasty RYO, but I personally like to roll them fat and smoke them cigar-style, not cigarette style. To each their own, of course.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I personally like to roll them fat and smoke them cigar-style, not cigarette style.
You sure that's tobacco you are putting in there? 8O lol

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
@aidecaker
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to look into the Zig Zag machine on You Tube. I have a high nicotine tolerance so what RYO blend would suit me?

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Hey Ray, I remember at my old B&M, they sold a line of the Stokkebye RYO tobacco. Higher quality than most of the OTC

roll your own I would assume. A few examples...
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4422/peter-stokkebye-norwegian-blend-no80

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3635/peter-stokkebye-danish-export-no81

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4578/peter-stokkebye-amsterdam-no83
As far as which had a kick of the nic, others may be able to speak to that. I would imagine any of the blends with Burley or Dark Fired will give you what you are looking for.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Ray, none of the RYO's I have tried seem to be lacking in the nic department, but the one with the highest kick would be Drum. It's also the one with the best taste, IMO.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
@skrapsoftobacco
Thanks for your post. I currently have the PS Amsterdam pipe tobacco. Don't know if it will roll as good as the Amsterdam RYO tobacco. I find the Amsterdam pipe blend to be very mild. My local B&M sells a good assortment of bag blends but no PS blends. I may just go with rolling 5 Brothers since I always keep at least 12 to 15 pouches on hand and that is more in line with my nicotine tastes.
@aidecaker
I looked at some videos on You Tube about the Zig-Zag rolling machines. I didn't care for them. They looked cheaply made and didn't roll the cigarette very tight. So far the larger Top Value machine looks more like what I'd like, but thanks again for your recommendation.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Drum is pretty good stuff. Not like a Canadian cigarette at all. I'm pretty sure it's mostly burley and dark fired kentucky in Drum.
I'd like to hear how 5 brothers works out as an ryo. The selection of ryo near me isn't too great. Maybe I'll roll some pipe tobacco and see how it goes.
The only

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Someone here rolled their own with Nightcap and said it was really good. You had to dry it out, and I think they rolled it cowboy style, or hand rolled. If you look on RYO forums there's alot of people's personal RYO blends they've made using different pipe tobacco's. @Ray I would go with one of the G&H shag cuts if you're looking for high nicotine, something like dark bird's eye or kendal dark shag. Also if you find the cut isn't great just stick it in a coffee grinder and grind it out to a nice consistency for rolling.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
You could theoretically roll any ribbon or shag-cut pipe tobacco into a cigarette. Might be tasty, might taste weird when the paper gets factored in. Could be a nice treat in the winter though, when a full pipe bowl isn't appealing.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
I mixed Semois and Sir Walter Raleigh about 50/50 and just tried it out. Kinda weird, but not terrible.
I'm going to take a look through my samples and see what else looks worth a shot.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I've been rolling my own cigarettes for quite a while now. I exclusively hand-roll using a thumbroller. Most of the time I use filter plugs, but will roll unfiltered at times.
RYO tobacco as pipe tobacco: Yes, in almost all cases. My RYO blends are generally too "plain" for me to enjoy in a pipe, but they all work fine.
Most of the pipe tobaccos I enjoy in a pipe wouldn't make good cigarettes. Either the cut doesn't work and/or they're far too unpleasant to inhale. In terms of great pipe/RYO tobaccos that are milder than Bugler: I really like Daughters & Ryan Three Sails. This is an excellent, all VA blend, with a very nice shag cut. The D&R Windsail blends are also excellent mild VA blends. These blends are also very affordable. My favorite is their halfzware, but seeing as that has a healthy amount of fire-cured, it would probably be stronger than Bugler.
Peter Stokkebye, IMO, makes the finest cigarette tobaccos available. They have pipe cut versionf of their RYO blends, which are the blends numbered i the 80's. These are certainly solid choices, but they're quite a bit less excellent than their shag equivalents.The ribbon cuts tend to be a bit long for me, so I will work some scissors through a pile a few times to make them more manageable.
The G&H Kendal shags (i.e. Kendal Kentucky) are on my list. I hear they're excellent.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Daughters and Ryan's Rimboche' SJ is a great pipe tobacco that is cut as a ryo. I haven't rolled it up yet . There's something about the loading and smoking of a pipe that is kind of a spiritual experience for me. Cigs aren't.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
I haven't inhaled a cigarette in a very long time...but I do roll them. I smoke them without inhaling, using pipe tobacco, for when I don't have much time. Recently, I have found that Semois makes a great cigarette. I have been using La Brumeuse, but they also make one called Fleur de Semois, which is a shag cut. The rough cut smokes fine, and I suspect the shag would burn very quickly...

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, Semois makes a great cigarette. It seems really versatile. As a pipe tobacco, it is not cheap, but I find it to be competitive with other RYO tobaccos (the PS shags, Drum, American Spirit).

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Semois makes a great cigarette.
Great timing on this info! I'm making some RYO for a co-worker to try and need a little "oomph" and flavor

to my mix which is currently 70% Red VFC, 30% Canadian VFC. Might add a pinch of Perique as well. Thanks! :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
When I traveled a bit, and ran out of factory made smokes, I learned to roll my own with Drum and Samson. Both are superb tobaccos and both, as a former cigarette enthusiast/junkie, provided ample amounts of nicotine.
My grandfather hand rolled Half and Half for over forty years. He tried to use pipes but they were "too fussy." And to this day, I can't stand the taste of H&H but whenever I smell somebody smoking it I walk over and say howdy.
Fnord

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I've tried Dunhill Elizabethan, Rattray's Hal of the Wynd and Peterson Irish Flake in a cigarette. They taste nice but I needed to add a filter to all three. They turned out to be very strong on the throat. These days I've been mixing Stockkebye's Danish Export with their Amsterdam Shag and a bit of blending perique. 60/45/5 in the order I mentioned. I mix it well, jar it up nice and tight then let it sit for about a month. I take out bits to dry and roll it up in the thinnest paper I can find (Zig Zag Ultra Thin) packed nice and thick, smoked slow. It's outstanding. I have yet to find a tinned pipe tobacco that I can handle without a filter. At the moment I'm looking into purchasing some whole leaf tobaccos and a tobacco shredder so I can mix my own cigarette blends from scratch. A few forum members have also convinced me to try blending some pipe tobacco as well. I haven't gone that far yet but Hawke's Indian Moon is outstanding stuff and I read a post from Cosmic a while back. He grew his own and made ropes from scratch. Cosmic Crop is really an awesome read. Very creative and interesting people on here. Very inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.