PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Here we go again, another Star Wars Trailer revealed. Rogue One! Wow! Can we throw another woman into a role that may or may not work, just because it's the PC thing to do? Strong women roles are great as long as it works, and the Actress doing the work can pull it off, i.e. Sigourney Weaver. Others come to mind as well, feel free to name them. But this revisionist Femenist crap is getting old fast. If you don't see the writing on the wall, that's fine, but this has become so obvious, that it has completely turned me off to films that I've been looking forward to. Ghostbusters comes to mind.
Conclusion: Nobody is forced to watch movies, we can use free market principles to choose which movies we see. That's a great thing. Right now, I'm using free speech to bitch about Disney utterly destroying the Star Wars saga. George Lucas, buy this franchise back, and save it from the heap of ashes it has become.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sequels are always a shaky proposition and almost guarantee off-key missteps. These films that develop a dynastic presence, like the James Bond series, always have marked highs and lows, and tend to rest on exhausted imaginations of writers and directors and abuse by producers and other money people. Feminism is the least of the problem. Depleted pissed out nada artistic energies and values will kill any artistic project. James Bond films almost died of special effects that were fantastic technical work but completely blew the droll deft touch of the first few films.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Ghostbusters looks bad, but that has nothing to do with feminism or casting of women.
What exactly is being revised by casting ladies as the central characters of new Star Wars films? Is Luke suddenly a woman now? I haven't seen the trailer, so I admit some ignorance. Is it being implied that this new female character is actually responsible for some of the events from the older films?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Foolwiththefez: Everybody was aware that Luke's character was revised to a female character for SW Episode 7, a complete reboot/remake.
Mso489: Depleted pissed out nada? You are correct there.
Big pond: It's ok that you can't see past your ideology.
I knew this would give some folks' emotions a push, but you'll get over it. Somebody had to say it. Mad Max Fury Road was badass, Miller has stated that he went the feminist route. Hollywood is pushing it, that's fine. But they are not pulling it off and it's fake PC hogwash.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
Hollywood pushing feminism? Really?
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/women-lead-roles-in-movies-study-hunger-games-gone-girl-1201429016/
You'er argument lacks facts to back that up. I don't want to engage in personal attacks, but it seems like you're the one who's emotions are being pushed.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Yaddy, just using human experience, observation, and logical direction.
After rereading my second post, I can see that the emotional blinders are on. Pushing envelopes are fun, and can be entertaining when the herd barrels in. The argument is valid, but this thread was mainly pointed at Disney and the Star Wars franchise. I even gave the herd a bone, to post badass women "Actors", who can really pull off some great roles. You know, believable. Guys, let show we don't have a reading comprehension problem, lighten up.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think Rogue One is the story behind how the rebels got the Death Star plans, and a side movie is planned in between each of the main sequels. Have heard the next side movie after RO is supposed to be about the bounty hunters.

May 4, 2015
Eh. The anti-feminist "they need to stop shoehorning women in to films just to do it" bla bla position is pretty worn out.
There's not a comprehension problem, it's just that that blustery point of view is poorly received by folks who care about gender equality and the like. And by those who realize that while Hollywood doesn't have a moral obligation to represent woman equally and have more female heros, it's not a bad trend.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
The latest star wars was bad; Luke crying in the wind like a drama queen.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I hope Disney can get their hands on Silence of the Lambs. I could see Jodie Foster's role being very appealing to someone like Selena Gomez. She could be a former high school lacrosse player turned model who hunts down a guy who eats too much meat and turns him into a vegan. It could be a real empowerment piece for my 8 years old niece.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Embers, I wonder if Disney will write out the Bothans and their many losses to get the plans to the DeathStar to the rebels. Excuse me, The Resistance.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With rewrites, who knows? Have also heard that the side movies are stand alones, and will tie into the new trilogy. Some of my friends think the girl from RO may be Rey's mother, or Captain Phasma.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Every movie director/writerthese days seems compelled to add a do-good theme, ecology (Avatar), last James Bond was ageism. Just tell a story, not a theme or champion a cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.