PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
What does it mean when a listing says Rock Maple Inserts on SP.c?
Example:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=207415

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most or all Brigham pipes have a maple tube that goes in the shank. Is it a filter? Filter or absorber, or whatever. It's supposed to dry out the smoke, and supposedly you can wash and re-use them. People who get on board with it seem to like them. It's one more supply to buy, and it is only used with Brigham pipes, I believe. I think the pipes can be smoked without them without a problem, but they are designed to smoke with the rock maple insert.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
For what it's worth, I've got a Brigham pot dedicated to "Gaslight" from G.L. Pease. I've always used the rock maple insert. When the smoke is finished, the filter comes out slightly brown and wet. You can clean it up a little with Everclear and let it dry or, let it dry as is. Either way worked for me with no I'll effects to the smoking experience. The inserts don't impede the draw or alter the taste and you can still run a cleaner through the pipe if necessary. Most of my collection is unfiltered, but I have several types of filtered pipes. I enjoy them all.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have noticed that the maple "filter" does impede the draw on my Brigham bent Country Club. If I pull the stem out a smidgen then no problems. I just smoke without it since I'm not a filter guy anyway.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Just to chime in, I have 3 Brighams and don't use the insert with any of them. You can use them, or not, as you please.

May 4, 2015
My understanding is the maple insert goes up into the stem itself to effectively increase the length of wood the smoke stays in contact with.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like them, as they pull a lot of moisture out of the smoke. They are wide enough to pass a pipe cleaner, and if rinsed and allowed to dry, they'll last for about 15 smokes. I don't like to call them filters, because the smoke passes through a fairly wide hole without being forced through any sort of medium. Insert is the right word. That being said, it's one more thing to buy, clean, keep track of, etc. In my experience, the draw on Brighams is just fine with or without them.
Brighams are relatively inexpensive. I have 3, and all are great smokers. Definitely a good choice for filling out a rotation, but I have to admit they are not the prettiest pipes.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
brig.jpg

Image credit, good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.