PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
After his ship wrecked Cruso quotes:
"I was wet, had no clothes to shift me, nor anything either to eat or drink to comfort me; neither did I see any prospect before me but that of perishing with hunger or being devoured by wild beasts; and that which was particularly afflicting to me was, that I had no weapon, either to hunt and kill any creature for my sustenance, or to defend myself against any other creature that might desire to kill me for theirs. In a word, I had nothing about me but a knife, a tobacco-pipe, and a little tobacco in a box."
He later learns the skill of pottery. One of his first successful ventures was a clay, which, according to Crusoe, looked kind of weird but smoked well.
Thr movie "Castaway" with Tom Hanks was a good movie. MAybe even a great movie, but stranded, I'd take a pipe over a bloody volleyball any day!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
stranded, I'd take a pipe over a bloody volleyball any day!
Haha, have to agree with you.

Theres a fairly sick twisted book you might enjoy; Desperate Journeys and Abandoned Souls: True stories of Castaways and other Survivors http://tiny.cc/k110w

Its full of accounts going back from the Great Age of Sail through to WWII and later.

The stories are all pretty dark, and the authors tells them well with a sick sense of humor throughout.

The real life inspiration for Robinson Crusoe is one of the many stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.