PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Hello all,
Just received a few pipes passed down from my great grandfather. One was stamped Robert Ritter. Anyone have any ideas as to who this pipe maker was?
The Doctor

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Ha ha, doubt it. But I can't find a lock of information on Google. Very disheartening.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Can you approximate when your great grandfather would have bought the pipe (eg 1930s-1940s), and say where he was living at the time?

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Well, that's not so easy, unfortunately. He was a captain in the Merchant Marines, so he could have bought the pipe anywhere. However, he lived in Seattle, Washington. Sorry to say, I have very little info on his life, as I didn't know him personally.
The Doctor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Too few of us get to know our great grandfathers on either side. I consider myself hugely lucky to have known and lived in proximity to all four of my grandparents. I clicked better with my dad's mom, and my mom's dad. My dad's dad was too introverted, though he made an effort, and my mom's mom was hostile toward boys for some reason, though I was a fairly well-behaved kid in her presence. But with the two who enjoyed my company, there was real magic. My dad's dad was a pipe smoker, but no pipes were passed down, though I have a fine round pipe rack with an amber tobacco jar inherited by my dad and later by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.