Robert McConnell - Scottish Flake.. Anyone ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I was perusing for a Virginia with Turkish and Kentucky, but nothing else. No toppings, no orientals, etc.. It's the blend I was recommending to Russ on his blog the other day. So I was wondering if there was one out there already. And this seems to fit the bill. But before I drop more than $20 (plus shipping) on a couple of 2 Oz.tins, I was looking for some input. So:
Has anyone ever tried this ?

Good, bad, indifferent ?
And if anyone has some, would you be willing to send me a couple of flakes in trade ? Notice I'm looking for the Scottish Flake, not the Scottish Blend. I can trade a lot of VA's or VA/PER. Even a couple of Aro.. PM if you can help please ;-)
Much obliged...
PS: Lawrence, I'm looking both for reviews and a possible trade, so wasn't sure whether it belonged under Tobacco Discussion or Trade... move where you think it belongs :puffpipe:

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Bump....
No one any experience with this blend ? Guess I'll be the guinea pig soon and I'll have to write a review for this to edumacate the rest ;-)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
If you like Rattrays Hal o Wynd you will like this stuff alot . To me it smells of figs and a good merlot . There are hints of Perique ,Turkish and red Virginia froms the base . Some say they can taste cigar , but I do not . I do not taste the rum as well . It is worth trying if you have not had it .

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I smoked this semi-regularly a few years ago. The nicotine was a bit too strong for me (I'm an admitted nic-wimp). But I thought it had a nice, complex flavor.
I don't know that it has any rum flavoring though, igloo. I could be wrong though.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Mick... I have a little that has been jarred for about 16 months. PM me your contact info and I'll send you a sample.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This wont help much, but it is very good and smooth. No bite. It's been a number of years since I smoked it so I don't recall the flavor profile. Medium bodied. I do know that if you end up not liking it, I will buy it off ya.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
JC: thanks for the offer, PM sent.

I will write a review and given all the positive I read here and elsewhere, I may buy some in my next TAD order. It seems to be right up my alley.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
First bowl of this stuff tonight with an IPA to drink on my side ..... wow.... This stuff is good. I need to get me a ton of this to cellar. It's a first impression, so i'll have to give it some time, but it's right up there with Escudo. Not as peppery or spicy, sweet almost floral. If pushed a little twang to let you know it's still a Virginia. The bitterness of this St Arnold IPA is really good with this. I'll have to smoke some more and write a longer review, but this stuff is very, very nice !
Thanks JCSoldit for the sample. Your return package should be on its way soon.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm glad you like it Mick, I think it tastes a little like Rattrays Hal O'the Wind. I hope the two surprise samples are new to you as well.
No rush on the return.
Enjoy!

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
I can highly recomend it. I smoked it 2 weeks ago and it was pure but diffrent from the ordinary flake. Very thin flakes though, so easy to rub if you prefere. It has some cigar-leafs in it. It is one of my favourites. Smells fantastic out of the tin. A bit "sour", a bit like F&T brown flake as I remember it, though it has been a while since I smoked that one. Hope you will enjoy it, and curious to see your respond.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
JC: Yep, thanks for the pleasant surprise. I have some Anni Kake in the cellar, but this way I get to try some without opening a tin. Much obliged !

This Scottish Flake is really, really growing on me. I had a bowl with a cup of coffee earlier and it really worked. I think it's actually more mellow than Hal'O the Wynd. I'll have to compare side-by-side. More to come on the review side. But I'm a happy camper right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.