PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottils

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
Anyone else seen this?
https://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/zigarren/robert-mcconnell/heritage/black-flake-1369.html?markenansicht=1

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Well, isn't that interesting. It seems MSO may be correct in his prediction. Can't wait to see what's actually going on here.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Mmmmm... The Appetizer
RobertMcConnell-The-Appetizer-2018.png

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
My Mixture 999. :lol:
Night club. :lol:
Sorry, I probably won't be trying these even if they were 100% the same.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I'll try 'em.
Rob McConnell (K&K) makes several fine blends, be they original recipes or not.
I'm glad to see the Heritage Series.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The rumor was that either STG or K&K would lease the rights to produce the blends under another name. Looks like K&K "won" out. I'm guessing that Asia is the principle market for this stuff, otherwise it would make little business sense to do this. Don't be surprised if they taste different, even if the "recipes" are followed. Different plant, different tobacco sources, different everything. On the other hand, K&K is a quality producer, they'll do their best to adapt the recipes to keep the flavor as close as possible to the current iteration, so aficionados lucked out on who is producing them. Maybe they will make it to the US for a short visit before going away on 8/8/21.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yeah I was thinking that even if they arent perfect matches they'll still be very good.

K&K does some great tobaccos.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah I was thinking that even if they arent perfect matches they'll still be very good.

K&K does some great tobaccos.
Yes they will. And the current ersatz versions aren't what the originals were. It's basically a brand name. Only now there won't be a brand name to go with the ersatz blends. But clearly they needed to remind smokers of the brand associated with these blends by making references to the currently disappearing ersatz blends.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
What is My Mixture Barking Road?
I'm guessing it's Baker Street.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10815/dunhill-my-mixture-221b-baker-street-re-release

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Ooh wow already. IDK I think considering how many Dunhill specials there were recently on the major sites, I was thinking the distributors knew something was right down the pike - it didn't make sense to put Dunhill blends on sale. They were going to sell anyway.
Don't be surprised if they taste different, even if the "recipes" are followed. Different plant, different tobacco sources, different everything. On the other hand, K&K is a quality producer, they'll do their best to adapt the recipes to keep the flavor as close as possible to the current iteration, so aficionados lucked out on who is producing them. Maybe they will make it to the US for a short visit before going away on 8/8/21.
This. To follow, K&K is easily one of my favorite producers. It's probably more productive to hope that the match is something you actually enjoy more than it is to hope the match is an exact match. Oddly enough, hoping it's better might be less disappointing. A lot of ways for a blend to be good; much less margin for error to be a reproduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.