PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
On my way home from work today, I saw an elderly fella sitting next to a minivan with a table displaying random knives that he was selling. Normally I dont pay much attention to these road side vendors, because they are usually hocking crappy chinese junk, as was this case. But, he was smoking a pipe and had three other pipes on the table next to him. So I pulled over and looked at his wares and began talking to the old fella. He is an old Korean war vet who has travelled and done many things. So I sat down on the ground, filled my pipe and offered him to fill his from my pouch, and he did. I sat and listened to the fella tell tales and enjoyed a smoke together. Interesting guy with lots of good stories, selling odd knives to make ends meet because his retirement and social security are hardly enough to live on. He likes his Middleton Cherry and would prefer a better pipe than the brylons he has now, but sold his pipes to folks looking for estates pipes at too cheap of a price to replace them. I think I'm gonna grab a hand full of cobs and drop them too him. If he is in the same place tomorrow.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
I can get cobs cheap, and they will smoke better than those brylons. His toby will taste better too.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Almost anything smokes better than a Brylon. I have one and keep it to remind myself never to go that route again. Good for you for thinking of him.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Thanks guys. It was worth pulling over and sitting on the ground to hear his stories. I hope he is back there again today.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
If he is not there today I will try to find him when I hit the road on my bike this weekend.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Well, he was there, and I did exactly as I said I would. I handed him the cobs, and sat and listened about how he met his wife. How they dated and how they have changed. I love how old folks always make a point of how much stuff costed back then.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Its wierd the mans name is John Popps, he use to be a foster parent in a group home.

I called my foster father Pops. He is dead now for several years. Sometimes I wish I could talk to him. He was a good man, a ww2, vet and a pipe smoker.

I was there till I was 16 when I left on bad terms. I came back nearly ten years later and made amends and built a relationship with Pops. I learned alot from him both times. Then I travelled back to that town and when he died.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Ya did your best loco. That is what counts. I'd say "Pops" raised a great man, even If you didn't recognize it back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.