Road Trip Across America! Pipe Related Suggestions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
My fiancée and I are going on a two week road trip across North America in October. We're taking a meandering route, hitting Boulder, camping in Yellowstone, driving part of route 1 along the California coast, camping at Redwood forest, and Yosimite. Then through Vegas, Roswell, eventually New Orleans, and finally home.

Two weeks on the road, going where we please, camping where we can to save money, seeing some amazing things along the way, meeting friends we haven't seen in years, and ones we've never met in person.

What should I pack, pipe-wise, for such an excursion? At the moment, I smoke about one or two pipes a day. And probably won't smoke much in the rental car. any suggestions for pipe shops and sights along the way?

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
If you are driving through Roswell, you may want to consider a detour to Carlsbad caverns. There isn't much around there but the caverns are fantastic. This time of year the bats come out en mass (millions) at dusk. It's worth sticking around for that.
Albuquerque has a great pipe/cigar shop, Montes, with a great lounge if you are that far North, and Santa Fe, has El primo, which is light on pipes but has a great lounge too.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Damn, that's a lot in 2 wks. Did similar but started in CA where born/ raised. Could spend 3 days alone in Yellowstone, not to mention Yosemite/ Sequoia/ Redwoods.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Honestly, just bring a cob or two. No reason to risk a nicer pipe.
The Briar Shoppe in Houston is worth checking out on the way to New Orleans, and it's located in one of the trendier shopping/eating areas of town if you or your fiancée care about that kind of thing.
I highly recommend camping in Big Bend National Park if you like stargazing and desert landscapes although the drive across west Texas offers a lot of that too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One word of caution on Rte. 1 in CA. Some people freak out if they drive South on it; straight down 100 yards+ in places, virtually no shoulder or rail. I happen to love it, but it's not everyone's cuppa. N. bound is quite different - well you get another ten feet or so of separation.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Well stocked Pipe shop in nice part of town, or cigar shop in shit part of town, the choice is yours :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Route 1 has a lot going for it, one of the most beautiful drives in the US, when it's not closed by a rock slide. I recommend Point Lobos reserve just south of Carmel, an area of remarkable beauty that has attracted many photographers like Edward Weston and Ansel Adams. There used to be a pretty nice tobacconist in Carmel, but it's been many years since I was last there. Big Sur is another fine stretch of road. The Monterrey Bay Aquarium is worth a visit. Cambria by the Sea, Moonstone Beach, Hearst's castle, much to see and do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm conflicted on travel pipes and tobacco. I don't want to take my three most expensive pipes. I'll probably hide them in the woodwork at home. But I don't necessarily want all cobs, much as I enjoy them; they are perfect campfire pipes. I'd take long three cobs and three sturdy briars, even briars that you wouldn't want to lose, just to have a really good smoke at hand when you have the chance. I find traveling disappointing and limited for smoking, just because of the time restraints, whether its just the call of the road or having to catch sleep when you must, and eat meals late, etc. etc. But when you can have a bowl, it's mighty nice, even out on the portico of a chain hotel or in a deserted park where you can catch the privacy. Your trip sounds ambitious and full of potential. It's just a huge lot of ground to cover. Another trip, you might pick out a more limited area. I had a great car camping trip with my late wife (I'm remarried) in Wisconsin, Michigan and its Upper Peninsula. Great country and a lot of undiscovered beaches and under appreciated supper clubs. We took our time and it was unique. Anyway, have a terrific time and enjoy that amazing country; you'll never forget it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I missed where you are starting. If Chicago or East of there, that's a very ambitious trip. Or are you flying to CO and renting there?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Camping in Yellowstone is for the hard core experienced camper during winter and Oct is winter in Yellowstone.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Funny I was just thinking that October is very late camping season out west. I well remember freezing my ass off in late August in the foothills of the Rockies.
Pipewise, bring what you like. Shouldn't be much risk when car camping.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Should you find your way through Birmingham, Alabama you MUST stop at The Briary and visit with Skip. The Briary is a southern fixture in the pipe world. Skip has been in the biz forever and is a master of his craft. The Briary occupies a wonderful old house with a huge front porch filled with rocking chairs as well as a TV room/smoking lounge. It's a classy and wonderful place, a beautiful hold out amongst the slow death of B&M's. An absolute must see.
http://www.thebriary.com

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you go North of New Orleans, in Jackson MS is the Country Squire Pipe Shop. I'm stopping there on our way home from the NOLA pipe show.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Well stocked Pipe shop in nice part of town, or cigar shop in shit part of town, the choice is yours
South Voss is a shit part of town, eh? I can tell you've never been here! ;)

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
A lot of great advice so far, thanks! We've decided to forgo Yellowstone camping, too late in the year.

We're leaving from Louisville, Kentucky on the 10th. Renting a car and driving the whole way.

Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.