RO Series Acadian Gold - RussO hits another winner

(61 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by lestrout
  • Latest reply from hoosierpipeguy
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last night's Lehigh Valley Pipe Club's makeup meeting provided a revelation. At previous meetings, we had heard from the great Russ Ouellette about his innovative idea, per "In October of 2015, while spending a day with Mark Ryan at the L.A. Poche Perique Company in St. James Parish, Louisiana. our own Russ Ouellette asked Mark if he had ever thought of trying to process Virginia in the same method as perique. Mark said that he had thought of it, but was told it wouldn't work. After a bit of conversation, Mark decided to bring down some bright, sweet, yellow, Canadian-grown Virginia to give it a try. The processing time had to be much shorter due to the aggressive fermentation due to the high sugar content, but the result, called Acadian Gold, has more depth than normal Virginia with a malty note unlike anything else."

I had nabbed the whole series but to get a sense of what they would do this was the tin we popped. The tin note was very, very unusual. Yes, there was a periquey organic scent that welled up, at odds with the visual of very light ribbons. It sure looked like a young bright VA, but sure didn't smell like one, except for faint hints of citrus. There was little hay like undertones, and not being a red VA, I didn't expect any bready or yeasty notes.

With the first puff, we knew something was indeed different about this, and by the time a quarter of a bowl was combusted, several of us had already decided this was going to prominently figure in the next P&C TAD. Acadian Gold is very tasty, but not overpowering in that department. Nicotine levels were moderate. Progressive puffing revealed the citrus and sweet characters of the Canadian Virginia, but there was no bite. If anything, the blend tasted as if it had a good deal of age on it, but absent the musty earthiness. Acadian Gold burned quite well, even for a ribbon, despite the fact that I didn't dry it out to my customary crispiness.

I need to run this through my usual assortment of chamber sizes and configurations, and also need to check it out in other substrates, starting with meerschaum, clay, morta, olivewood, corn cob and strawberrywood. I'll probably also pull out one of the Ropp cherrywoods to help define the flavor contours. I need to do more study to ferret out the malty notes. Then I might feel armed enough to push out a proper review. But since this may have gotten lost in the flood of recent pre-FDA introductions, I thought it would be good to let folks know that this one is a winner.

hp
    les

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Acadian Gold has worked its way into my rotation. I am about done with my first tin. I have found it does best in a medium sized bowl, .78-.8" chamber size, with some height. Starting out light, sweet and mead-y, it stoves in a tall pipe like a dream and almost gets a latakia-like smokiness towards the end, with its robustness. Great stuff. If you like a Virginia that slowly changes flavors as you smoke it, you'll be amazed by this one. I'm anxious to try the VaPer version.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just finished off my first tin and I couldn't agree more with the above assessments. This is a most unusual blend and worthy of a try. But don't dally with the new FDA rules it won't be available for long. My understanding is that it was produced as a one time experiment.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great, another blend I have to try

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you think Acadian gold is good, wait until you open Acadian VaPer and Acadian English. I did a review on the VaPer and I've smoked 5 bowls of the Acadian English but am still trying to figure it out.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing last night! I really enjoyed this blend, perhaps more than my other current 2nd blend, OGS. (and it's easier to smoke!)

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't order any of the ORs with Latakia. Darn, I probably should have.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also shared some of Les' tin last night. It was a very different and satisfying experience.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  9. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Les, thank you for sharing that tin with us on Wednesday evening. From the moment the seal was broken, I knew that was something unique and delicious. Your review is, as usual, spot on.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

Since this was going to be one of my final projects in creating pipe tobaccos, this meant a lot to me. I was chomping at the bit because we knew that the Acadian Gold couldn't spend as much time in the barrel as Perique (it would break down), but we had a looming deadline (FDA date) and we weren't sure that the final product would have enough time to properly ferment. When Mark said that it was ready and he was sending me some samples, I was excited and nervous. What if it turned out to be a bust?
    When I received the packaged and tried the first bowl, all my concerns disappeared. Acadian Gold is the most unique-tasting Virginia I have ever tried, and it has no casing or top-dressing at all. I couldn't be more pleased with the way it turned out, and I'm glad that people are enjoying it.

Russ

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, Russ. Looking forward to trying this one. By the way, what went into the decision to use Canadian Virginias for this?

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just bought 1 tin each of this series.
    I look forward to sometime in 2017 or the next couple years when I can try them out.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. blendtobac

blendtobac

Login to Send PM

Congrats, Russ. Looking forward to trying this one. By the way, what went into the decision to use Canadian Virginias for this?

Thanks for the congratulations. About two years ago or so, Mark Ryan sent me a large sample of what he called the most amazing Virginias he had ever seen. The leaf was delicate and was the brightest yellow I have ever seen in a flue-cured tobacco. Since he sent me raw leaf, it wasn't cased at all. When I cut some and tried it, I was blown away by the sweetness and the acidic tang. When I suggested the idea of processing Virginia in the Perique method to Mark, we both immediately thought of that Canadian Virginia. We both felt that the high sugar content would work best, and we also thought that the processing would drive back the acidic tartness.
    When Mark sent the finished samples, I was struck first by the color. The Virginia went from lemon-yellow to a golden hue, like perfectly fried battered fish. The tasting bore out my hopes that the maturation process would drive back the acidity. The depth, and what I call a maltiness, showed me that we had something truly unique on our hands. It's phenomenal on its own, but it is also a great blending base. My only disappointment is that I won't have the opportunity to do more with this amazing tobacco.

Russ

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Six tins ordered.

It will be especially interesting to revisit them in the coming years. I fully expect that Acadian Gold will only get better with the passage of time.

This is indeed a high water mark in your blending career, Russ.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since this was going to be one of my final projects in creating pipe tobaccos,

Russ,
    I fell in love with the Acadian VaPer from the first time I opened the tin and I'm now developing a love for the Acadian English. I tried the Gold and it is very good but I'm not a straight Virginia smoker.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My only disappointment is that I won't have the opportunity to do more with this amazing tobacco.

You could.. You just can't sell it to us.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

You could.. You just can't sell it to us. [:-)]

...officially.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I wonder what old Russ is up to. Maybe I'll just stop by for a min or two "

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I wonder what old Russ is up to. Maybe I'll just stop by for a min or two "

*knock knock knock*

"Hey Ruuuussssss. You home? I brought you a fruitcake. Watcha workin' on in there?? Ruuuuussss..."

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Russ could go on unemployment. When filling out the forms he can explain he can't find a job because the FDA destroyed his livelihood.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered more this morning. I am going to have to live a very long time to smoke all this.

Wish me luck!

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoyed my first tins of the Va and the VaPer and, with papipeguy's help, I ordered another round of each. I think these are going to be legendary blends.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am sitting on a tin of the English. I need to smoke some to find out if I need to get more

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gosh! Must acquire some of these! I wonder what the supply will be January 1 when my TAD/PAD allowance kicks back into gear? I hope they're not extinct by then!

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #
  25. blendtobac

blendtobac

Login to Send PM

Russ could go on unemployment. When filling out the forms he can explain he can't find a job because the FDA destroyed his livelihood.

Fortunately, blending is actually a small part of my duties with P&C. There's still plenty of work for me to do with writing copy, building web pages, etc.
    I really enjoyed my first tins of the Va and the VaPer and, with papipeguy's help, I ordered another round of each. I think these are going to be legendary blends.

Thanks, Peck!
    I am sitting on a tin of the English. I need to smoke some to find out if I need to get more

Isn't that a little uncomfortable?
    Gosh! Must acquire some of these! I wonder what the supply will be January 1 when my TAD/PAD allowance kicks back into gear? I hope they're not extinct by then!

We should have sufficient quantities to go well into next year.

Russ

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We should have sufficient quantities to go well into next year.
    Russ

Good. The English and VaPer on on the Christmas List I gave to the wife this weekend.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Russ...at least its a flat tin.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sounds like an absolute hit...... Going on my next order for sure!.....

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  29. blendtobac

blendtobac

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking the Acadian blends I made in house when I was developing them. The initial samples that Mark sent were cut wider than the final version. I finally got around to popping a tin of the production version and I really like the way the narrower cut packs, and the tobacco is even smoother with some time in the tin.

Russ

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. beastinview

beastinview

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sounds like a lovely concept for a blend. I'll have to give it a try, especially if it is your Swan Song of sorts, Russ!

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

This stuff is awful. Don't any of you get any !I've still gotta get a few more tins. I hate competition.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why can't I load more than 25 Acadian Golds into my cart?

Posted 10 months ago #
  33. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like it's back in short supply. Plus it's on sale now.
    If it goes away for good this time, no complaining!

Posted 9 months ago #
  34. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last time that I talked to Mark Ryan, he told me that he won't be making any more. The leaf is very thin, and much of it turned to mush when it was pressed in the Perique process. Mark said the loss rate was too high.

That doesn't mean that he can't be persuaded to make more, if the price is right, but he wasn't inclined to give it a go again.

If you were smart, you bought a lot of it when Mark sold it off in 6 oz. tubs.

Posted 9 months ago #
  35. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Has anyone else experienced moldy Acadian Gold? I bought a tin from pipesandcigars in May of this year and the tobacco was sopping wet and the surface peppered with bright white dots. P&C took care of me with a refund, but on the recommendation of a friend who’d recently spent a week with Mark Ryan learning about Perique processing, I called D&R, who produces and packages Acadian Gold for P&C/RO. I spoke with Gloria, who was very nice and genuinely interested in what I was asking. I asked her if the extensive white deposits I had seen and the funky aromas I was smelling were typical, or possibly mold. Being a very unusual tobacco, I honestly wasn’t sure. She wanted me to send her the tobacco, or maybe just a photo, but unfortunately, I’d already thrown it out. She thought it was possible that it had been packaged too wet. She took my name and address and promised to send me a replacement once the next batch was packaged, even though I’d already received a refund. I think it must’ve slipped her mind, though.

Posted 9 months ago #
  36. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I haven't experienced it myself, but a good friend who got the 6oz tub found that it had developed mold and had to toss it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 9 months ago #
  37. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The alarming amount of "sugars" on the surface and almost overwhelming aroma are typical of this stuff.

Its my understanding, having talked with Russ, that this is not mold.

It smokes lovely and tastes remarkable.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 9 months ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many of the D&R tubs developed mold.

Lestrout had arranged a humongous group buy of the tubs for the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club and for the Christopher Morley Pipe Club. Once mold started showing up, I did a bit of research and came up with a treatment for the mold. I made up a saturated solution of Calcium Propionate and calculated a .5% application rate for a 6oz tub, dispensed from a spray bottle that I calibrated.

I lost count of how many tubs that I've treated, but it's a lot. A LOT. Not one of those tubs has shown any signs of mold. Yet.

Posted 9 months ago #
  39. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woods, you used that on already molded tobacco?

Posted 9 months ago #
  40. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't buy the D&R Acadian Bright tubs, but I've smoked more than a couple tins of the Acadian Gold & haven't had mold in the tins when opened, & none grew on the tobacco sitting in my smoking jar. The tin note's strong, and the tobacco has a lot of stuff on it, but it's not mold. I figure it's from the fermentation process. Supposedly they tinned the stuff a bit drier than the tubbed stuff to solve the mold problem.

Posted 9 months ago #
  41. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Woods, you used that on already molded tobacco?
    Yes, but only in three or four tubs. We picked out the fuzzy bits, then treated. It stopped further mold growth.

Posted 9 months ago #
  42. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried to spray some with it, and maybe I am just not doing it correctly. But, it made the tobacco have a slight mouth-puckering alum taste. I just need more experimentation.

Posted 9 months ago #
  43. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What dilution/application rate are you using?

And are you smoking this tobacco, or eating it?

Posted 9 months ago #
  44. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

Anyone know if we'll ever see the acadian Vaper? My guess is probably not...

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 9 months ago #
  45. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Anyone know if we'll ever see the acadian Vaper? My guess is probably not...

I picked up a couple of tins of it a couple of years ago. I smoked one and didn't care for it. Something about Perique over Perique processed Virginia just didn't work for me. Kind of like two instruments playing the same note but one was not quite on pitch with the other.

Posted 9 months ago #
  46. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's some recently de-tinned & jarred Acadian Gold. No mold, some nice age crystals, & the tin note is in full effect.

I've also had some jarred up for months at a time, & never got mold, but they all have the pieces with a lot of age crystals on them.

Posted 9 months ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

Soo,

I just put a few tins in the cart, and it said that it was too many.

I lowered the number until it took, then checked out.

Now it says "out of stock"

Sorry...

Posted 9 months ago #
  48. blendtobac

blendtobac

Login to Send PM

We're waiting for more to arrive.

Russ

Posted 9 months ago #
  49. 901blends

901blends

Login to Send PM

I think there is more potential for this leaf. I've read the tasting notes over and over again.

I'm working on a Cognac blend using Acadian Bright, Germain's Latakia, Syrian Latakia, some old funky Turkish, and some red/stoved Virginia used condimentally.

Basically, akin to Pembroke or SH Cognac mix in the idea of infusing the flavors of cognac, but using Acadian Bright instead of Germain's succulent Virginias.

The flavor profiles just seem to click.

Posted 9 months ago #
  50. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ Any mold problems? I'd like to see pics of your tubbed Acadian Bright straight out of the tub. I've heard that the tubbed stuff can get moldy. I'm curious to see if it looks any different from the tinned RO Gold release.

Posted 9 months ago #
  51. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

We're waiting for more to arrive.

Waiting for more leaf ? Or more completed tins to sell ?

Posted 9 months ago #
  52. blendtobac

blendtobac

Login to Send PM

More tins. The tobacco is finished, but needs to be cut and packaged.

Russ

Posted 9 months ago #
  53. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just picked up 3 tins of the VaPer, and on sale.
    Looking forward to my first taste!

Don

Posted 7 months ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

loadclear

Login to Send PM

Just opened my first tin on New Years Eve... I see the crystals obviously, but there's some larger white spots... mold? Safe to smoke?

acadian-gold

55. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've seen that in my tins, not mold.

To quote myself,

"I'd like to see pics of tubbed Acadian Bright straight out of the tub. I'm curious to see if it looks any different from the tinned RO Gold release."

because I wonder if they started adding anti-mold powder to it, since the tubbed stuff mostly molded out, but not the tinned stuff.

Posted 6 months ago #
  56. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

When I saw Mark in Vegas, he acknowledged the problems with the tubs, saying that it was packed way too moist. This time around he's corrected it, and showed me by opening a tub for me to examine. I'll enjoy blending with it. I also managed to get some of the last of the 10 year barrel aged Perique as well.

Posted 6 months ago #
  57. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

I fully missed the original batch, but thankful that Mark and Russ took another run at it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

greenmtnsmoke

Login to Send PM

I have only tried the Va/Per version and it has one of the best tin notes I have ever come across. I enjoy the smoke but to me it seems to lose something after the half way point. Could need more age as it's less than a year in the jar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  59. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Just opened my first tin on New Years Eve... I see the crystals obviously, but there's some larger white spots... mold? Safe to smoke?

If it's fuzzy and/or hairy looking it might be mold and not one's best thinking to smoke. Can't really make a determination from that picture.

Posted 4 months ago #
  60. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That looks normal to me, including the individual white pieces. Usually I see them on top when I open a tin. Unless it smells rotten, you're probably good to go. If anyone has a pic of the first run of D&R tubbed Acadian Bright, it would be interesting to see.

Posted 4 months ago #
  61. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just bought a couple of tins, they arrived today. 3 of the Acadian Gold, 1 each of the Acadian VaPer and English. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg