PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I purchased two tins of Russ Ouellette’s Series Acadian English in August and opened the first tin on Sept. 22. Since then I have smoked it at least once every day so I’ve probably had about 15 or 16 bowls.
The tin note is enticing. I get the sweet, smokiness I associated with Latakia mixed with the a unique sweet maltiness from the Yellow Virginia which were processed in the perique manner. In fact, this blend is comprised of the Acadian Gold blend and Latakia. There is no casing that I know of but I did get just a hint of cocoa from the newly opened tin. Now, with it having been opened daily for about 2 weeks, the cocoa isn’t there for me, but the sweet smokiness is.
It was a little wet at first, but I’ve let it dry out and now I can load it into a pipe and pretty much smoke it to the bottom of the bowl without re-lighting. I like it better for sipping in a cob, but I have also smoked it clinched in a briar and just slowly puffed. No bite to speak of except one time when I smoked it too fast.
In my opinion this starts out as a medium strength blend and slowly builds up in strength as I get to the bottom of the bowl.
The aroma and taste most noticeable to me is the sweet smokiness with dry hay. Overall I think it is a nice, clean smoke which reminds me of smoking a good mild to medium cigar. In fact, a couple of times it has left me with the same mouth feel and aftertaste of a cigar. This is not necessarily a bad thing.
I like the Acadian VaPer more than I like the Acadian English but I am glad I bought two tins of this and will be ordering some more of it for my cellar.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
This has no Per, as far as I can tell. Just the perique processed Gold Va and Lat.
I opened mine last night, like the rest of this collection, it is unlike any English I have had.
I like it...a lot.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The yellow Virginia is processed in the same manner as Perique. That gives it its uniqueness.

Wow, that was a great review, Pappy. I could actually taste what you were describing, vicariously. Havining only tasted the deliscious, mead-y Acadian Gold, straight Virginia, and I can imagine what it could do with some Latakia. Is there any other Oriental leaf in the mix, or is it a pure VaLak?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Cosmic - According to the tin it's just the Virginia and Latakia.

I don't know how it got missed when the labels were done, but there's also a touch of unflavored black Cavendish because I felt the contrast between the Acadian Gold and Latakia was too drastic. The Cavendish adds a mid-range note that works nicely.

Thanks for a very thoughtful review.
Russ

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Acadian English was blended so that the Acadian Gold is still the star. The Latakia is definitely in the "condimental" range - about 17%, with about 3% toasted black Cavendish. So even if you're not a big Latakia fan, you might still find this blend enjoyable.
Russ

Our very own Yabbo brought me a sample of this tonight. I get that familiar malty mead-y flavor right off the bat, and the Latakia takes a backseat, but it has a slight Latakia perique combo flavor, but it's very light and sweet. It takes a backseat to the Virginia, until about half way. And, then the Latakia comes forward, and even the slight perique-y flavor. Very good!

This is a mild Latakia blend that I have got to add. It will be deliscious blend for smoking on wintery mornings with a cup of coffe.

BRAVO Russ!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
This is a mild Latakia blend that I have got to add. It will be deliscious blend for smoking on wintery mornings with a cup of coffe.

BRAVO Russ!

Thank you! The Acadian Gold is just too unique and enjoyable to cover it up with too much Latakia. I think the Latakia creates an interesting contrast.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.