PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullethead

Lurker
Jun 20, 2015
argh, never mind (video delete). thoughts on the blend is it is a very potent blend, I smell apricot from the tin (sort of like a dry apricot), a sweet peppery perhaps fragrant at times, the kentucky and turkish tobaccos blend kind of strange however making it complex. the perique can be noticed at least by me initially, I am usually a latakia smoker so this was a nice change of pace.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I haven't ordered any yet since it costs a hefty $12.49 for 50 grams. It reportedly has an affinity to Anni Kake, which is 30% cheaper, so I think Fire Storm is probably over priced. I'll wait and see if the price comes down, while I smoke from my supply of Anni Kake -- if I get that particular itch.
I hope we don't get gouged by the new Golden Triangle Series blends -- but that seems likely since there was talk about limited quantities.

It reminds me of what P&C did by pricing Esoterica's stuff sky high. Well, that's market dynamics for you.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I believe it a fair bit heavier on the Perique and has some Dark Fired as opposed to Anniversary Kake.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's Anniversary Kake + more. More that costs more. Perique...damn, that it going the way of the honest politician, isn't it?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There are 'benchmark' blends that folks don't mind paying premium prices for. These are blends that bespeak quality and taste.

The tobaccos in Fire Storm are beautiful and exceptionally well blended to produce a satisfying sweet and savory tobacco that will impress your pipe smoking friends without fail.

Most of us know that Russ Ouellette's name has earned respect as his blends are typically tasty and terrific.

That's Ouellette, pronounced, Will - 'ETT. An artist who's work will be revered long after his passing.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have the utmost respect and admiration for Russ and his inestimable talent,

but I have issues with the company that he works for.
$12.49 for 50 gms. is over priced -- not because Perique is rare -- but because

P&C is capitalizing on Russ's reputation. They know people will pay dearly to

taste one of his new creations. Ya, I too think he's that good, and I'll probably

pony-up like everyone else -- at least once.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The price of Fire Storm is because there's a lot more Perique in the blend, which costs four times as much as the Virginias, plus the dark-fired is a specially-selected leaf which costs more than the usual stuff. I've been given a free hand to use whatever I need for this series, even if it means that the blends will be higher priced. There are a number of other blends that don't cost as much to produce that sell for more than Fire Storm.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd kind of like to try Fire Storm, as a treat. I currently have on hand a variety of blends that include dark-fired, so I may try several of those first, since I have them on hand. If anyone wants to enjoy Russ's creations in a budget friendly way, the Hearth and Home Midtown series is worth looking at. The non-aromatic in the series is Chestnut, six tobaccos in a balanced complex blend at tub tobacco prices. You can try it in the pouch, but I went for the tub and am much pleased. Right now it is stealing the thunder of a number of unopened tins of pricier blends; Chestnut keeps calling me back.

Reactions: UncleRasta

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm sure all the Canadian and Australian pipers would support your balking at the $12 for 50gram tin pricing.
You dont know how good you have it at the moment. One day you'll be wishing you could find a tin of decent tobacco for that price.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm all for free enterprise and Capitalism. If P&C can command those prices, more power to them.

I believe in the market system -- so much so, that I'm willing to hold out until the price drops things change.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I assumed the higher price point of the RO series has to do with the components involved. Really, that still isn't a bad price per bowl, especially if its a full 50 gram tin.
I've gained great respect for Russ's work through Anniversary Kake, and talk about value! Wonderful stuff, so I would assume Firestorm would be amazing. The only reason I haven't sprung for it is that I don't like a particularly spicy smoke and this sounds to be that. I love the moderate spice of AK- more like baking spices.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I've smoked two tins of Fire Storm now. It is wonderful, to my tastes! But, then, I love Vapers.
I know that it has been blended by a special man with rare talent. So, I'm willing to ante up for something this good. It's like paying more for that special single malt, the rare volume!
Fire Storm will be one of those blends that will become a legend. That's my thinking, anyway, for what it is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.