PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I understand the wisdom of not smoking aromatics and non-aros in the same pipe.
What about mixing various non-aros? Is there a problem with smoking English blends and Virginians in the same pipe? Can you smoke both pure English and English/Orientals? How separate do you need to be?
I'm not a very OCD person. Practical tips for keeping track of which blends you smoke in which pipe. As both my selection of pipes and selection of tobaccos expands, I'm not sure I will we remember. Up until now I basically had a couple mild aros and a couple English blends. I smoked my English blends in my England made pipes, and my aros in my other pipes. As I am adding Virginians and Orientals to my stash, this current system will not work well if I should not smoke the different non-aros in the same pipe,
Appreciate your help.
jojoc

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I smoke different English blends in the same pipe. I dedicate a pipe to certain types, not certain blends. So aromatics only get smoked in aromatic pipes. Some of my aros will ghost a pipe so I dont want it ruining an English. If you are doing English (including orientals), aros and Virginias, I would have certain pipes dedicated to those types. You could go crazy and dedicate a pipe to just one blend and some people do but I'm not that fussy.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Personally I dont worry about ghosting all that much. Anything with lat, aromatic or not I try to keep in one pipe, and really strong aros (mainly cherry) I usually try to keep to one pipe. But those aren't hard rules and I smoke whatever in whatever pipe. Aside from lat, I've never had any flavor stick around inside a pipe for more than a bowl

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My way.
1 for vanilla

1 for chocolate

1 for orange

1 for cherry

1 for banana

1 for each type of Lakeland
Several for the Virginia, Oriental, and Burley blends.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I do smoke the aros in different pipes than the English blends. Really my question is do I need to keep the Virginian in separate pipes from the English?
Sounds like no problem about English adn English/Oriental in the same pipe.
I am a little confused by the lat comment as a number of my english blends have lat in them. should I be separating out English/Lat blends adn smoking them in different pipes?
Thanks

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
do I need to keep the Virginian in separate pipes from the English?
Unless you want to taste latakia in the Virginia blends, I would keep them separate. You can smoke straight Orientals and Virginias in the same pipes without much problem.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Thanks Embers - sounds like I need to have at lest three sets of pipes - one for aros, one for English, and one for Virginia blends. Also means I likely need to get more Virginia blends, as I think I only have one

May have to go with - England made for English blends, Italian made for Virginia, and Petes for aros. That just leaves my Nachwalter Briar Workshop to figure out as the odd man out so to speak.
Of course, that also means I need to actually be able to remember which blends are English and which are Virginian. I have a couple tins of Virginian blends but have not opened one yet. Maybe the nose will know.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I have a pipe for VaPer’s, a pipe for English, a pipe for Virginia’s, a pipe for balkans, then I have three pipes for aros. These are used to essentially try different blends, when I find a blend that is life changing it gets its own pipe. I realize that not everyone can accommodate such a system and I am definitely using more money than I need to accomplish the same results many other people are getting. I started doing this after I came back to the world and saw McClelland and Dunhill baccy disappear. I’m looking for blends that I can’t live without so that I can build a large enough cellar that I can have enough for life

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just dedicate my Pipes to genres. Few blends are good enough to require their own pipes, here are the few that do:
Condor

St. Bruno

1792 Flake

HU Sissinghurst

HU Daddy Gefftl

Revor Plug/ McConnell’s Latakia Flake share the same pipe.

I love Lat blends and I have certain pipes that I only smoke Lat in, for instance I won’t smoke a VA in a Lat pipe cause Latakia does ghost so as far as Lat blends, VA & Burley blends go, those just get smoked in the pipes that are reserved for that particular genre

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
By English blends I guess I really am meaning genre. I have no intention of limiting a specific pipe to a specific tobacco. I am trying to figure out classes of blends and which ones to not cross mix in the same pipe.
It is sounding like aros and Lats are the two primary items to keep in dedicated sets of pipes.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m looking for blends that I can’t live without so that I can build a large enough cellar

That’s a damn good idear! I decided years ago that I couldn’t live without Condor so I spent a mini fortune to stock up on it, for years that’s all I would by and right around the time I reached my lifetime supply (it was either Condor or a house) I got news that the Polish took over production and ruined it, so yes I’m very glad I made that decision, even though I live under a bridge now and have to go to a coffee shop in order to post on this form but damn it! I’ve got a lifetime supply of Condor, what else does a man need?. Now, I have been very vocal about not tasting much of a difference between the Irish & Polish Condor but I stand corrected, a friend of mine sent me a Polish Plug in the new generic wrapper and it is indeed inferior in many ways and it’s about the saddest damn thing that’s ever happened in the world of pipe tobaccos! So yeah, find what you love and stock up ASAP! I’m so glad I did. I’m also pretty darn happy with my stash of McClelland & Dunhill VA’s but I’ve been cellaring tobacco way before the dawn of the Tobaccocalypse so it was much easier and cheaper to attain top shelf blends back then. I’m currently win love with some of the more traditional Mac Baren blends, so I’m working on stocking up on some of those, turns out, I’ve been taking Mac Baren for granted, they make some of the best blends the world has ever seen, if they were gone tomorrow I would be devastated.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I'm a dinosaur and tend to only really smoke Virginias or mild Virginia Perique mixtures; however, I fear no ghost. Sometimes the combination is delightful, sometimes it is frightful, but ghosting is just a fact of life.

Reactions: The Todd

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
In my experience, virginia, perique, burley and dark fired do not leave heavy ghosts. A little whiff once in a while, but nothing significant.

Latakia on the other hand is a ghoster. So are most aromatics.

But a single bowl of something won't ghost a pipe for more than a couple of smokes, so go ahead and try for yourself.

Reactions: The Todd

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think I have two answers depending on your collection and budget:
If you have plenty of pipes, and/or money for pipes, by all means, dedicate pipes to specific genres and subgenres or even blends.
If your collection is limited and you don't have means to greatly expand it, then maybe just separate the extreme outliers. Lakelands, Aros, non-aros, that sort of thing. I have like 5 briars that I divide roughly into genres, but not enough to get real specific. I have one pipe that I smoke everything in, with the exception of Lakelands, and it's not a problem. If I smoke 10 bowls of hardcore Lat bends in a row in it, and then fire up a delicate VA, I might taste a bit of smokiness, but it's faint, and will disappear quickly after a couple of smokes. My own experiences, of course.
Don't let a fear of ghosts psych you out of the hobby for lack of pipe money, I guess, is what I'm saying.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Lets start with [/quote]I’ve got a lifetime supply of Condor, what else does a man need
:worship: :worship: :worship: . NOW, that that's out of the way, I dedicate my pipes the following way:

#1)Meerschaum/tobacco

#2)MM Cob/tobacco

I know I am a heathen BUT>>>>Smoke What ya like in what ya like when you want to smoke it... :clap:

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I’m also pretty darn happy with my stash of McClelland & Dunhill VA’s but I’ve been cellaring tobacco way before the dawn of the Tobaccocalypse so it was much easier and cheaper to attain top shelf blends back then. I’m currently win love with some of the more traditional Mac Baren blends, so I’m working on stocking up on some of those, turns out, I’ve been taking Mac Baren for granted, they make some of the best blends the world has ever seen, if they were gone tomorrow I would be devastated.
I wish that I had be wiser. I really enjoyed several blends from both, took some time off the forum and from smoking. I showed back up and they were gone, with not even a bowl in my cellar :cry:
Which MB blends are you talking about so maybe I can try them out and cellar some!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Really my question is do I need to keep the Virginian in separate pipes from the English?
I would. I don't smoke VA's but my understanding is that they are the most subtle of blends so why ghost them up.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
A little floral whiffs doesn't bother me,seems I kinda like Lakelands and yes they may( do ) leave some ghosting behind but thats Ok if that floralness is moderate,while smoking my burleys in the very same pipe, I find a little floral makes plain Burleys taste more interesting or more complex if that is better definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.