PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Recently I posted that I have a beautiful Stanwell Golden Danish that has been a total dud of a smoker....
I've run across another Golden Danish, and estate, and I'm thinking about giving the series a second chance. Would y'all risk it? Think my pipe is the "exception not the rule"?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Go for it. Why not? It will confirm one thing or the other. Either Stanwell isn't for you any longer, or the first pipe was just an exception and Stanwell is great. Either way, you can find out.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Cortez- you're not making me feel confident on my decision :nana:
Besides, I'm only doing this over, not "and over"....sounds like the 3rd time is insanity. This is just regular foolishness.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have a couple of Stanwells in my rotation and have been very pleased with the results. That is not to say that you could not get burned...

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
that is not how I would define insanity.
That is one heck of a pipe. I bet the price was right, too.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great looking pipe, I gave it a quick once over myself. :)

Hope you have better results with this one. :puffy:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
The Danish Stanwells are good. I haven't heard many good things about the BC produced Stanwells.
For the money, I think I'd opt to go the Savinelli route. I've owned a handful and never had a bad one.

toadshade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 9, 2014
My first pipe when I renewed the hobby was a Stanwell Brushed Black Bent Apple which I absolutely love. On he basis of that I ordered a Stanwell Brushed Brown which was a good deal smaller and and is just 'ok.' I think I needed to pay more attention to the dimensions when I got the pipe. Seems to smoke hotter too. That said, I would still order another Stanwell.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
@clickklick- +1 on the Savinellis. I own several and they are all great. I've just been wanting to expand outside of Italian pipes. Savs are my go to.

Aug 14, 2012
This is just my opinion. I say no. I have had a number of Stanwells. I like their shapes. But none of them were really good. And the Italian made Stans are worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.