PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I have read on this forum how some members like to come back to an unfinished bowl and smoke the rest at a later time.

Also there was some mention of appreciating what the smoke and heat does to transform the flavor of the tobaccos deeper in the bowl.
I am not a person of money by any means, and so am prone to trying different ways at saving money.

I have noticed that my ash tray has slowly accumulated some strands of tobacco that were not completely burned up.

I have been setting them aside when dumping out the rest of the ashes.

I decided to mix up some fresh perique with this mix of ashtray tobacco and was more than happy with the result.

The flavor was strong and the nicotine present.

This is not something that only the poor should take advantage of. Give it a try, you may like it as much as me.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Sounds interesting. In the past people always talked about just smoking the dottle straight up, but this sounds interesting. Adding fresh tobacco, seems like it may be worthwhile. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
To each their own. The main technique you refer to is often called the delayed gratification technique. It seems that you have taken it a step further, though. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote that Sherlock Holmes would collect his dottle for the day and smoke that first thing the next morning. So you aren't exactly breaking new ground, it has at least been contemplated. I, however, would prefer a new fresh bowl each time I light a pipe. I'm glad that you have found something that works for you, but I'll definitely pass. Interesting technique, though.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Sounds a bit like Satan's Substrate to me... :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brightleaf, this is a suggestion with precedent. I can't cite the specific source, but Arthur Canon Doyle had Sherlock Holmes picking out the unburnt tobacco from the ash and re-using it in one of his stories, and Holmes, as I understood, was somewhat independently well-off as he was depicted in fiction. For moderate smokers of a bowl or two a day, this might be a little onerous, especially if you can take pleasure in the many good but moderately priced blends available, but if you take a meditative pleasure in separating the leaf from the ash, why not? I would point out that various bagged tobaccos available now provide real pipe blends in 12 to 16 ounce bags at notably reasonable prices. These would really economize the price of pipe smoking if you recycled unburnt leaf.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Sherlock Holmes collects his dottle, putting it all in a bowl in the morning. He does not pick through it. However, I warn against using a literary device as evidence of the benefit of a smoking habit. Worth a try, sure, but Doyle could have just made that up for fun. Maybe he was laughing at all of his fans trying this disgusting trick that he dreamed up. Doyle was a little bit of a troll. Haha.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I thought about searching the forum for a previous thread on this topic but didn't know where to start. It was an original idea to me, but like most ideas it's already been thought of. I like your idea of pressing it jaytex969, thanks for the link. How long and what weight do you find makes a good cake? I smoked it with and without adding fresh tobacco. My favorite was with fresh perique, the spicey, earthiness complemented the smoky ash tobacco. While I started for thrifty reasons, I think it is better than buying cheap tobacco to fill my bowls. A blend of many different blends of high quality tobacco smoked and stoved tobacco, dried to perfection and mixed with fresh was my best smoke of the day. Some may say why bother, I say why deny yourself the pleasure.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The dottle absorbs quite a bit of Nicotine and water. Leave it out to dry, and the next day it is not bad at all, if a little sweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.