PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I just finished watching this fantastic series on Netflix. Although I love period pieces, especially those taking place before 1900, I wasn't absolutely sure I'd like this one. In fact I've put off watching this one time and again for something else. I am so glad I finally got around to watching it, because once I began, I couldn't stop. The story begins shortly after the Jack The Ripper murders (hence the title) in Whitechapel, London England, following Inspector Edmund Reid and those he works alongside, solving murders and struggling with a damaged past.
Pipes show up from time to time, often placed strategically in the background among crowds... someone walking out of a store front with pipe in mouth, three or four people in a large crowd, etc., to make it appear natural and part of daily life as opposed to bringing it to the front and clearly making it seem nothing more than a prop. There are a few characters here and there that are seen smoking a pipe, but it still usually appears natural and not forced or fake.
I will have to revisit this show again the future.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its rather well done although I was surprised by the amount of cigarette smoking shown since cigarettes really didn't take off until after the 1900s with the introduction of the first commercial rolling machines prior to that date they were hand made and rather expensive. Granted people did engage in RYO but pipes and especially clay pipes were extremely common.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks for the heads up. Just finished The Staircase on Netflix a couple of days ago. Been looking for another series to watch. Sounds like a good one.

Jan 8, 2013
Condor. Actually cigarettes were already being packaged but were still (mainly) hand rolled prior to 1880. In 1880 a machine was invented that allowed over 200 cigarettes per minute. https://www.vox.com/2015/3/18/8243707/cigarette-rolling-machines

Status
Not open for further replies.