PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
When a bands original lead singer dies, so does the band. Just wanted to acknowledge the passing of Scott Weiland. In 2000, I sat dead center, first row when they played in Birmingham. It was the best concert I'd ever seen. Weiland was a crazy good and was everything I hoped him to be and more. His performance of Dead & Bloated gave me the chills. The memory still does. I'm actually surprised he survived as long as he did. Vedder and Cornell are all that remain from that class.... RIP Weiland! Thanks for the memories!

dadgy

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2015
I clicked this thread in a panic because I haven't gotten to sample Bengal Slices yet. Phew.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Hippies are gone and have been for decades. I understand it is used as a derogatory term now. Vedder and the others were "grunge" if you will or "alt/indie" but definitely Rock, before making it big. Nothing wrong with the lifestyle and liking nature. To each his own.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"When a bands original lead singer dies, so does the band"
So much self-destruction in the music industry. I thought he was a great talent. There are some exceptions to the die/leave rule, Journey (not my cup of tea) with Steve Perry stepping it up, Genesis with Gabriel leaving, for better or worse, depending, and Collins taking it to a whole new level of "pop-ularity" and the biggest, loss/gain, in my opinion, Bon Scott from AC/DC to Brian Johnson and greater success. The younger kids will never fully appreciate how awesome Bon Scott was. Saw them in '77 in San Diego, and just plain awesome.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Was just musing on Bon Scott and Ozzy's song "Suicide Solution" yesterday in a conversation about the 1980's Satanic Panic. Still have Highway to Hell on vinyl. Need to bust that out of storage, a jailbreak, of sorts.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
This is where brevity gets us in trouble--apparently I'm not the only one that read "Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania"!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Good point, and I don't think you mean dies so much as "is no longer with the band," because Osbourne and Di'Anno are very much alive.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I meant that even though STP was briefly headed by the guy from linkin' park, STP is dead now with Weiland. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Scott, the Pilots, Alt, Indy, and Grunge were my college soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wicm_xwydYo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Weiland and Co were as close to Zepplin as possible. Never really cared for the Grunge flavor of the week. STP, Peral Jam, and Soundgarden were probably the only original talent from that period. I say STP was original, still had that Zep feel to them. Scott could sing though, no doubt about it.
Music is all crap now. I've spent about 25 years developing music and style. Funneling it all down into about 10 songs, and I still am reluctant trying it out on folks I know. A lot of theft in the local music scene. Everyone thinks your music belongs to them, once they hear it. That's quite different than being inspired by a musician/band. Plus finding talent to tell musical stories with is a pain. That's why I do it all at home now.
Great bands everyone mentioned though. We have lost some greats, haven't we.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Saw the grateful dead in Chicago this year all three nights. Hippies are alive and doing fine.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Not what I was referring to DeathMetal, Of course music is based on borrowing and inspiration. I was referring to entitlement to your songs before they've been released. As well as this crazy idea that once music hits the ears its yours and it then belongs to you just as much as it belongs to the composer. Jeff Tweedy from Wilco adopted this idea. As well as RadioHead. Just another Part of the Entitlement Collective brain dead zombie cult movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.