PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
DAMN
He was far too young. I would be hard pressed to think of a more consummate guitarist, performer, or writer who lived into the 21st century. Saw Purple Rain in the theater in 1984, I think, and have been a big fan ever since. He really changed music and will be horribly missed.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I was happy to see Iggy reach 69 today, and then sad to find out Prince & The Artist Formerly Known As Prince had died. Prince made some really great music, and The Artist Formerly Known As Prince made some really terrible music. Nonetheless, the guy was brilliant and his life should be celebrated. I'm breaking out the good stuff later this evening. Don't ask what the good stuff is because I won't tell you. RIP Prince & The Artist Formerly Known As Prince.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Spare, active person, in control of his own business interests, hence not stressed by financial problems -- I thought he'd be around into his nineties anyway.

Jan 8, 2013
I have never considered myself a true Prince fan. I was always a bit more of a metal head, I suppose. However, he put out some great music, some songs of which I WAS a big fan of, such as When Doves Cry, or Purple Rain which is to this day a song I always stop to listen to when given the chance. Not many ever think about Prince as the great guitarist he was, and the guy could really shred on a guitar when he wanted to pouring as much attitude if not more into those 6 strings as most of the guys I was a big fan of... as seen in Beefeater's post above.
My favorite Prince song... and my favorite Prince guitar solo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8BMm6Jn6oU

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
A Giant Talent gone way too soon. This has been quite a year with so many greats making their departure. A bowl in honor of Prince Rogers Nelson 1958-2016. :cry:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Never thought much about him until my 18 yo. daughter introduced me to his music in 1991. Turns out he was more than just a pop star. His music has some depth, and interesting lyrics, if a bit adult oriented. I didn't listen to him a lot, but I did enjoy it from time to time. IMO, it's always sad when someone who has talent dies, no matter what you think of their talent.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
He was truly a unique talent. He had a hand in a lot of what we have all listened to in the last 30 years.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"He had a hand in a lot of what we have all listened to in the last 30 years."
I doubt "he had a hand in," or influenced anything I listen to. He was a unique and talented guy. Died too young, that is for sure.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Big yawn for me. I don't like his "music", and I like even less what he represents culturally. Good riddance.
Cortez, I'm more than a little surprised at your post. In three plus years of shared community here, I've never known you to be callous and show such disregard for the other pipe smokers you share this community with. You did both with this post. Regardless of your personal opinions about his music or his personal life, your post left a giant turd in the middle of a thread where people are sharing positive memories, and commiseration.
You disrespected that, and diminish yourself.
Rest in peace, purple one.
-- Pat

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I am not sure what he represented "culturally"... Except a desire to control your own product and conduct business in the way you want to.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I merely stated my opinion. We probably agree on many things -- just not this.
I'm okay with that.
What I take umbrage with is the fact that you felt like you needed to share your opinion, especially given how callous it is, in a thread where folks are sharing commiserations and positive memories.
You do realize that saying, "Good riddance," in regards to someone's death is as good as saying, "I'm glad that person is dead," right? That's just cold, insensitive and spiteful.
You surprise me. I didn't have you pegged as someone who would defecate on the feelings of your forum mates.
*shrug*
I guess I learned something new today; disappointing, but new.
-- Pat
PS - https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=3m20s&v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Status
Not open for further replies.