Tags:  No tags yet. 

RIP Nightcap

(29 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by mitch11
  • Latest reply from puffthemagicpiper
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

Man, my wife and I just finished a great bottle of french wine and im sitting in my garage with a glass of scotch enjoying a bowl of nightcap before bed. Does life get any better than this? As much as i hate whats become of the Dunhill name, i will miss this blend tremendously!

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

come to think of it, maybe life would be better if i could smoke in the living room with my wife and the dogs! haha

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

I love the stuff too but don't worry, there's better stuff out there. Much better.

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

come to think of it, maybe life would be better if i could smoke in the living room with my wife and the dogs! haha

The dogs don't care but .... sigh ....

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Come to think of it, maybe life would be better if I could smoke in the living room with my wife and the dogs!

Some of our wives smoke, but yours is the first dog to do so!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If the information I received recently from an individual from a well known tobacco blender, and someone that's been in the business of tobacco for a while; you'll see the same Dunhill recipes in 2019. Just a different name and different tin art, but still blended by STG. Just need to cross our fingers that it happens.

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A nightcap with nightcap and a nightcap. That's inception level right there.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. bradical

bradical

Login to Send PM

I love the stuff too but don't worry, there's better stuff out there. Much better.

Such as? I'm curious.

Don't go chasing waterfalls.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Better than Nightcap?

Any Peretti latakia mix (Omega, Tashkent)

London 1000 by Dan tobacco. Old Ironsides from Dan as well.

Black Mallory from Rattray.

Any of the Hearth and Home big ones (Black House comes to mind).

Pease Abingdon, Westminster, etc

Nightcap's Nightcap, but there's no shortage of great, huge, latakias out there.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being 69 i have more Nightcap and Royal Yacht then my grandkids will be able to finish. Over the past few years took advantage of the buy two get third free or the buy x and get one sales. I figure my average cost around $8 a tin.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

mitch11

Login to Send PM

i realize there are plenty of great blends out there but Nightcap will always have a special place for me. It was the first non-aro blend i tried and made me convert from cigars to pipes. Everything from the tin art, to the tin note to the smoke is perfect imho.

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

i have more Nightcap and Royal Yacht then my grandkids will be able to finish.

I actually dreamed that last night.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. shanez

shanez

Login to Send PM

In terms of so-called English blends, right now I seem to be preferring Ashton's Artisan blend to Nightcap. I need to get some more of this stuff when I next can. It's not the same as Nightcap but it's more to my taste.

That being said, branching out from English, I'll take SPC PP SR or Dreams of Kaddath any day over Nightcap but that's almost comparing apples to oranges.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love Nightcap, and have a shit ton in my cellar. That said, Ashton Artisan's Blend is a great substitute.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ashton Artisan's Blend is a great substitute.
    I think Artisans is similar, but better.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. bradical

bradical

Login to Send PM

I remember a reviewer years ago describing smoking Nightcap as being like "balm of heaven to the sores of a desert leper". That has always stuck with me.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think metalheady' is onto something. Whether by financial transaction or just imitation, the best loved Dunhill blends will not disappear, in likelihood.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If the information I received recently from an individual from a well known tobacco blender, and someone that's been in the business of tobacco for a while; you'll see the same Dunhill recipes in 2019. Just a different name and different tin art, but still blended by STG. Just need to cross our fingers that it happens.

And...maybe not. This little tidbit was posted on another forum

Got some news about the McConnell Heritage blends, production has been ceased by a judge in Germany. It seems STG has sold the recipes of the Dunhill blends to K&K, without consent of Dunhill. There's a lawsuit going on about who actually owns the rights to the blend recipes and until this is clear, K&K can't produce any. STG and K&K are probably looking for a loophole to block all Dunhill interference in the matter. Could be a while or maybe the blends will show up made by K&K but under a completly new name/brand.

Rumors abound. There were definite differences between the McConnell offerings and what STG was producing, so I'm not sure how real any of this is.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  19. brendhain

brendhain

Login to Send PM

Interesting with the rumors...

That said, each time Nightcap changed production facilities/contractors then the blend changed. Each manufacturer has their own sources of tobacco, sense of quality and processing procedures. When smoked in parallel, difference between a 2004 and a 2006 is distinct. The UK produced tins are not as sharp the Danish stuff.

I don't notice much of a difference when I smoke them "separately."

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

My last bowl of Nightcap happens tonight...

Quiet Nights will replace it for now.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 5 months ago #
  21. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whether or not the Dunhill blends ever come back in some form, now would be the time to explore the myriad other similar blends out there. It’s not like with McClelland where the base constituents simply aren’t readily available any longer. There are probably many blends out there using the same components that were being used in the Dunhill blends.

IMO there are many other blends out there similar, but superior to, the latest incarnation of Dunhill. Finding exact matches for any blend is usually a fool’s errand. Find something that scratches the same itch and cellar it.

Start with the GLP portfolio.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finding exact matches for any blend is usually a fool’s errand.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was my first real favorite english, I have enough cellar-ed for years to come. I do agree that there are plenty of great options out there though.
    Unkleyoda, nice Obi Wan quote, very appropriate question.

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  24. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Man, my wife and I just finished a great bottle of french wine and im sitting in my garage with a glass of scotch enjoying a bowl of nightcap before bed. Does life get any better than this?

I just began piping again after an 18 year hiatus. I must say that it was the memory of sitting in my garage lounging amongst the heavenly clouds of Nightcap smoke that I just couldn’t forget.

Tonight, I’m enjoying GL Pease Odyssey. Reminiscing on those wonderful moments that only a fine tobacco can weld to your memory. Never to be forgotten.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

“Man, my wife and I just finished a great bottle of french wine and im sitting in my garage with a glass of scotch enjoying a bowl of nightcap before bed. Does life get any better than this?”

I just began piping again after an 18 year hiatus. I must say that it was the memory of sitting in my garage lounging amongst the heavenly clouds of Nightcap smoke that I just couldn’t forget.

Tonight, I’m enjoying GL Pease Odyssey. Reminiscing on those wonderful moments that only a fine tobacco can weld to your memory. Never to be forgotten.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. magicpiper

magicpiper

Login to Send PM

I stocked up pretty deep on flake and dark flake when the brand’s demise became public. I’m 40 years old and have enough put away to last me until I’m at least 600. With that said, I sure hope everyone is correct in that we could see the blends reappear soon. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nightcap was my first fuller strength transcendental (if you will) English blend experience, so I'm not passing it off, but as I have said a few times, the variety and range of blends right now is spectacular, the golden age for pipe tobacco, so I feel ungrateful going into deep mourning for one blend. I'm one of the diehards who persistently expects the Dunhill bends to resurface under some licensing or outright sales agreement. This is like my friend's father who had hunted red wolves all his adult life and piled them up like cord wood, but as they became nearly extinct insisted they had only migrated northwest (of Eastern Texas where he lived and did his hunting).

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

Got a tip here that a B/M in Tennessee very near where my sister lives still had some Nightcap left. She got their last 2 ounces. Guess I’m not quite done after all.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

rdavid, I’m in middle TN! You wouldn’t PM me if this brick & mortar was in middle TN would ya?

Oh never mind. She got the last two. Got excited! lol

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   americaman, geopiper, upnorth1, georged, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, hauntedmyst, davidy97, npod, redglow, jiminks, heeman, bradical